Re: Cheryopteris, Weigela, Lilac, Japanese Maple...

Mattituck, NY(Zone 7b)

Hi, just joined the group. We sold our house last January. Many of my perennials needed dividing, so I was able to pot up some of my favorites before the ground froze, but as always, there were many that I didn't get to, so I am looking forward to trading on this site. I am also a seed saver and have many to trade once we are settled in our new home and everything is unpacked. I have had great success in propagating hydrangeas, euonymous, roses, lavender, and perovskia from stem cuttings using only rooting hormone and my garden soil (sandy, but fortified with many years of composted oak leaves compliments of neighbors doing their fall clean up while the property was vacant prior to our purchase. It was black gold!). I didn't know you were supposed to cover the cuttings with plastic, I just kept them under our covered porch until they rooted and then they went directly into a garden bed. In two years, they really came into their own as good size plants. I generally began the cuttings in July when I also planted seeds from perennials. Any advice in regard to propagating cheryopteris (Blue Beard), Weigela, Lilac, or Japanese Maple would be appreciated. Can most shrubs be propagated this way?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Siouxcq,

I know zilch about propagation, maybe someone else in this folder will be able to help. You can check over in propagation, too.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/propagation/all/

Good luck.

David

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

In my experience, most of the srubs you mention can be propagated by taking half-hard woodcuttings and using rooting hormone.
The maple, look for seeds around it, or wait until I find seedlings on my property; we've got a good JM.
Christie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.