MICHIGAN MY MICHIGAN

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The temps have been falling here all day-not rising!!!
Tonight will be a killing FROST?FREEZE here im sure of it

tis the end-till i get these daylilies started! ;)

Thumbnail by notmartha
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

It is snowing here on and off :(

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

it only lasted a few minutes but-more will follow * * * *** ** ** ** ** ** * ** ** * * *** * ** ** *
* * ** * *** ** * ** ***** * ** * ** * ** * ** ** ** ** ** ** * * * ********** ************** ** * * ****

wind cill 22
normal 34

Thumbnail by notmartha
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

yes I know, unforunately it has to show up at all right now, geesh, haven't seen snow in Oct in years

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

woke up to white this morning...ugh....been out in the garage wrapping my dahlia tubers in saran wrap - my fingers were ice cubes....Have I said before that I HATE winter...

Thumbnail by sarv48
Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

Boohoo:(

Thumbnail by serenity_now
Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

Sniffle, sniffle...

Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

WHAAAAAH!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm crying with you..........try getting some of those pretties indoors.

Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

The pretties that were lucky enough to be picked are already indoors. These guys were already tagged to be casualties of winter. (I will dig up the cannas though) It's just been so nice out that I haven't put the patio furniture away, planted any bulbs or anything. In fact the hose is still laying out from watering. Kind of surreal...

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

AGH!!! I FORGOT my canna!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its under 8 " (!) of strange white stuff.
sheri

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Wiggley...........8 inches of snow............where???? surly you jest.......there is no where in the state that got that much snow..............

Dori...I see you changed your zone..I'm further south then you...Why is it I'm zone 5??

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Mine is a zone 6 because Im close to lake huron and we get the warmth from the lake!
But we can also get the cold off the lake too and lake effect snow! If you look at a zone map you will see where i am its a different color(small area)than the rest of michigan!

Thanks...I was hoping mine changed to zone 6...thinking you were further north...No such luck...

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Holy cow thats alot of snow sarv-glad it missed me!!
My sis is in Gaylord and she still had 6in on the ground sunday morning-poor thing!
Im so not ready for this crap! They said it hadnt snowed on oct 12 since 1930s and it could have waitied till 2030!
I couldnt believe how darn cold it was too!

this is from last yr one frosty morning that looked really warm out-but it was colder than a witches ...........

Thumbnail by notmartha
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori,
I don't like the cold either, but that picture is pretty. brrrrr

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

We are in Hastings Michigan, and from what I have
learned over the years, is that next door they can
have rain, but we get none. We won't have snow,
but Freeport will be buried. We get buried and
Grand Rapids gets icey rain.

Yes, it was 8"+ of snow, and the chickens were
really freaked out. They have never seen the
sky fall before.
sheri

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I lived there as a teen in highschool and never recommend anyone to live there unless they love COLD temps. I was in Owosso, pretty much the center of the mitten. It snowed on graduation in late May.

The only reason I would go back is to go back to that school and pay back, as many do. ONLY reason. Spring Vale Academy. No regrets.

I love the changing of the seasons with *NO REGRETS*..!!Sure makes a pretty post card...Crank up the furnace throw a log on the fire and look out at the beautiful snow.......This is MICHIGAN my beautiful MICHIGAN...!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Michiganders,
We sure like our weather here! One day 60', next day, more than 30 degrees colder and 5" of snow and more coming down. Here is a picture of a walk in the woods this morning in Gladwin. Now use your imagination and feel the snow pelting you in the face and eyes as you walk with the canopy of snow hanging the branches low over your head.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Holy smokes we are just getting pelted with freezing rain all night and so far today. I sure would rather have gotten what you have there than all this slush and ice everywhere. Fingers crossed that it turns to snow here soon! The winds are really something too coming off the lake!!!

thats so pretty

**Cpartschick-we are having a christmas exchange-join us!!! :)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Look what was nlooming today in the house!

Thumbnail by notmartha
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh Dori that is pretty, excuse my stupidity tho, what is it :o)

cg

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

its a tropical hibiscus
I have a bud on one of my Christmas cactus too :)

here is another one that will bloom later..this is last yr

Thumbnail by notmartha
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The hibiscus is beautiful. I am not very good with plants, but got one of these peach colored ones a couple years ago. I have it on the deck and bring it inside for winter. It blooms all winter. It is getting tall and scraggly though. I tried pinching it back but I hate to pinch off buds and I think I waited too long to do it. Help?
How do I join the exchange?
Got over 6" of snow over the mud now. How much in Bay City? Is it still ice? Hubby said it was fun going to work this morning. He is there is your city right now.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

CPARTS- just wanted to welcome you to the gang!!!!

here is where ya sign up for the exchange
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/674073/

Here it the thread to tell things you are into or collect
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/674764/

we still have NO snow on the ground unless you call slushy spots snow-i can see the grass and leaves still!
Its still freezing rain and rain at times-just a yucky mess and NO fun to drive in

I got 6 different hibiscus in the house-4 were from an old co-op I dont pinch anything
But if i break a branch off it goes in the dirt and I have another one started!

EDITED: to add its finally SNOWING huge snowflakes!! yahooooooooooo!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2006 1:54 PM

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks,
so is there anything I can do about old spindly? It is now pretty tall about 4' and the branches just go straight up, it has just little leaves, seems to want lots of water, then all of a sudden lots of the leaves turn yellow, drop off and then gets healthy again. Does this year round. What am I doing wrong?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Mine is dropping leaves too right now and looks lots thinner than in summer-But each summer it fills back out and blooms like crazy
I let it get totally dry and then give it a drink-not alot during the winter months and then let it dry again and so on!
You can give it some plant sticks or spray it with messenger -i give everything some mighty plant every couple months!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Mmmmm, sounds good. I guess I am doing ok, I never heard of mighty plant, I have used miracle grow though. It probably needs some food. I am not a very good plant mama. I do have some trees inside though that seem to thrive on neglet. One I have had for about 14 years and is to the cathedral ceiling, another only a year old is already 6ft. My house is mostly white, with a ton of windows, so the dark green of the large plants make it more homey.
Thanks for the tips, I sure can use them!
Oh, I found a picture of it I took the day I brought it inside. Just turn you head sideways:)

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori and cpart, love the hibiscus pictures!

We ended up with only rain, rain, rain, and wind here. The creeks and ponds are all overflowing.

Dori, My Christmas Cactus has already finished blooming. I tried leaving it outside a while longer this year, but a week after I brought it in you could see the flower buds starting. I was hopefull it would be blooming still for Thanksgiving, but no, the bloom was all over with by then. I don't think any of my Amaryllis will be blooming by Christmas either.

Saw a coyote for the first time in several years today. They say they are around, but we don't see them much.

Sharon

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Sharon..........

A Coyote in Trenton?????? Holy cow!

Deann

cpart- a hearty and hail welcome to the Mich club....

I was in Gladwin a few weeks ago (I live across the state from you) We went to a spa there on the main drag. What a nice town = I'd love to go back in the summer time and just stroll. We had a glorious time being pampered - my tootsies have never looked so lovely. We stayed in a house on a lake just outside of town - don't know if it was N,S,E or W...If I'm not driving, I lose all sense of directions!!

See ya around!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

sarv 48,
I live on a lake just outside of town. You were probably right by me. The lake looks even prettier with the snow. I love it when it is not yet frozen with the white. We live on the river end where it is like a big lagoon, lots of wildlife. We also have a nice chunk of woods and cedar swamp, so we have coyottes all the time, bobcat, eagles etc.
I am very fortunate to live in this beautiful area.
You must have gone to our new fancy river building. It is really classy for Gladwin huh? My daughter bought me a gift certif for a massage. I am looking forward to some pampering myself!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome Cpart. My hubby and I went to dinner once for our anniversary at Lost Arrow Resort which I believe is probably near you. The food was very good, we enjoyed it very much. We both like venison, which they serve there, so had to try it.

Cindy

cpart- yup that was the place I was at!! I had a massage and a pedicure - I can't decide which was nicer...they were both lovely. Since my feet as such a mess of cracks and callouses, I'd probably vote for the pedicure!!

Where we stayed was at the end of a river too. It is a home that belonged to their grandma/grandpa and they inherited it. They've left it as it was when they were growing up - very dated, but so much fun to remember 'those day's (orange carpeting etc.) Their last name was 'Casey' - is that name familiar to you?

We ate lunch at the restuarant below the spa- it was good too and shopped at the little shops inside. The knick-knacky place was having a ton of food to taste-hit the spot!!

small world...

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

To Sarv,
There about about 4 lakes close to the city, so maybe, the name does not sound familiar. I love that place and take all the "down state" visitors there to show them we have class. I love the food there. I am looking forward to my own massage soon! I will be thinking of you when I make the appt tomorrow. What is your city like. You are by Traverse City right?
To Cindy,
Lost Arrow is my favorite of all time. A little pricey but the food is out of this world. I love venison (we are hunters) and did not think anyone could cook it as well as we do. They do a great job. The resort is about 12 miles from us, so pretty close. I am proud that we have such nice places around here and not the urban sprawl! I live like a UP'er with lots of untamed land, rivers, streams and lake at my door, yet go up a hill and I have a nice little neighborhood and a couple miles a quaint town. I feel sooo lucky to live here. Where is Melvindale?

cpart- nope= not close to Traverse at all. We are a tad south of Grand Rapids. About three hours south west of you. Forty five minutes from Lake Michigan. 19 deg. here with soft snow falling....

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, I flunked geograghy. We are having the same weather here. As soon as it is light the big dog gets a run in the woods. The snow gives extra workout to all of us. I have friends from Greenville, that is probably alot closer than Traverse,

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

cpart, Melvindale is a small suburb just south of Detroit. There are about 5 or 6 cities that they refer to as Downriver so if you ever hear that term, we are included in that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.