March in Coastal NC

Southport, NC

Hello -- I'm transitioning from New England to SE NC and am completely unfamiliar with what to expect for early next Spring (except for Camillias and Azaleas which I can't wait to see!) I want to plant some bulbs and other things that will bloom in March. Does anyone have advice for good March bulbs for our area? The bloom times on the bulb packages I've always bought seem to be fairly true to New England Springs so should I assume things will bloom a month earlier here or even earlier than that or should I assume that the packaging itself is different for the South and trust the dates on bulb packages bought in NC?

Also I've put in a few pansies having read that they should burst in early Spring -- are there other annuals I should put in now? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Welcome Kaync

I love Southport! I live down the road ( south ) but our weather is similar.

Buy and plant pansies in November,keep deadheading them and they will last until May.They may wilt in a freeze but they will come back as long as you keep deadheading.

I also plant seeds of snapdragons,belladonna,calendula and others and they bloom as soon as the weather gets cool.

Buy as many daffs as you can find also muscari and species tulips.Don't plant until November.They will bloom early and will come back reliably.

There are lots of other things but I think that is enough to start with.

Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.