Pampas blooms?

Nashville, TN(Zone 6a)

Hello fellow grass fans,

I planted five clumps of pampas grass two years ago, and it's doing very nicely here in Nashville, TN (zone 6a.) The five plants have formed a HUGE mound of healthy grass, but no blooms after two growing seasons. Does anyone know how long it takes Pampas grass to bloom? Are there male/female plants? Is there anything I can do to coax blooms next year? I so want it to bloom. Any "tricks-of-the-grass-trade" would be appreciated.

Tilt

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi Tilt,

I have a large pampas grass which wasn't doing very well until I moved it and neglected it! I planted it amongst grass on the road side. It was already here, i.e. I didn't plant it, and didn't know what to do with it but thought it a shame to discard it.

My neighbour has a huge one which only has 2 or 3 stems, he has in the past cut it back around the edges and it always regrows but fails to perform. There are different types, that could have something to do with it., but cutting back may discourage blooms when the plant has to put energy into regrowing leaves.

I have heard that you need to neglect them if you want the seed heads, and they are said to prefer poor soils, too rich and they don't perform!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I put 4 plants in to form double bedposts framing of my driveway entrance. I watered them for the first 2 weeks and then left them be. They were sposed to survive on their own and they did.

2 of them bloomed, the other two did not. I would think that if you are inclined to cut them back once a year, do it in the spring. This gives them all summer to grow and they do not bloom until fall anyway.

JMO
Molly

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

From Ed Humes's website
http://www.humeseeds.com/efpamp.htm

Quoting:
Don't be disappointed if your young plant does not have plumes for the first two or three years. When established plants do not form plume, it is usually because they have been over watered or fed too heavily with a nitrogen-type fertilizer, which would tend to stimulate foliage growth instead of plumes.

If you have an established clump in your garden and want to get additional starts, the best time to dig and divide the clumps is in March or early April. (Although it can also be done in the late autumn.) At either of those times simply dig the clump, and take divisions from the side shoots.

hope that helps.
carol

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That is true, they need to be neglected, they probably grow in poorer soils in their natural habitat, but neither do they get fertilised unless an animal does it's droppings nearby! Not so likely due to the sharp nature of the leaves.

I like the way he says to "simply dig the clump" to take divisions, in my experience digging a clump of this stuff is not so simple!

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I know wallaby. I laughed at that too. Its not so bad getting the whole clump out but dividing it is a bear. I think I got out my electric carving knife. lol

Nashville, TN(Zone 6a)

Thanks to all who answered my "Plume Pleas"

I do cut them back to the ground (actually burn them to the ground) every spring.

Too much attention seems to be the culprit for my lack of blooms. I do so love to water and fertilize my pampas grass. Maybe the third year will be the "charm"... with a little neglect.

David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.