Limelight in the north

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm in northern Michigan and the temps are definitely dropping. Supposedly snow tomorrow...yuck!! Anyway I have put off pruning my Limelight back. I only put it in the ground this past spring and it has grown nicely for me....wish I had bought several more!!!

Should I cut it back now or wait for spring ?? Heavy pruning or just a light clipping ??

I was hopeful to maybe getting a clipping (if I'm cutting anyway) to root.... hate to waste them...lol.

Thanks for the advice.

~Julie =0)

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Don't prune or you'll have no blooms, it's not remontant I am sure (someone correct me since I have one just planted this year, it did not bloom yet for me). Mulch it and put some protection on it, visit a hydrangea nursery website like Nantucket Hydrangeas (listed in the Watchdog) for good advice.

Mine has bloomed beautifully for me all season long... green, creamy white, and a dark pinkish in the fall. It's absolutely beautiful and I really want to keep it that way, which was why I was asking for someone with hands on experience as apposed to what I find when I google.

I really don't want to screw this up and miss out on blooms next year....lol. So I'm trying to be prepared =0)

These are all tid-bits I have found online already.....

Paniculatas (PG/Limelight types) can be pruned in the fall, winter, or spring. However, it is not necessary to prune them every year. It is suggested that one trim out crossing branches and those that do not contribute to an attractive form whenever necessry. If one is attempting to grow a paniculata in a tree form, the developing trunk and main branches should not be removed completely.

Limelight is a Paniculata and blooms on new wood so it can be pruned anytime before the blooms set. Late winter/early spring is recommended...

I have a Limelight that's two summers old. Per the tag instructions, early in the spring I pruned one third of its branches to the ground. It's now a MONSTER! I love the huge, cone-shaped blooms at all stages. Just forming. Fully formed and greeny-white. Nipped with frost in the fall and blushing pink. Dried to an interesting shade of pinkish beige.

I'm worried if I wait for spring, I'll wait too late

~Julie

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Tag says prune late winter/early spring, so prune then even if it is remontant. I forgot it was a paniculata and not a macrophylla, lol, without a flower to see!! But check out how to winterize it anyway. One thing for certain- pruning now will stimulate the production of auxins (plant growth hormones), not something you really want right before winter weather.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Julie,

Why are you pruning the Limelight? If you are wishing to keep it really small, prune in late winter/ early spring, but if you want a large shrub, I would not prune at all, except for where the branches appear to be crossing each other. Also if you are pruning as it flopped, it is better to wait until spring, and then tie the branches up loosely, so they harden off in an upright position.

I recommend my customers not prune Limelight unless there is an absolute need for it, it's a pretty good looking shrub on it's own.

But whatever you do, even pruning it now, you probably won't forever damage it. Limelight is tough. It is my absolute top selling hardy Hydrangea.

And if you really want to play with a start of it, cut a piece now, and put it in a glass of water in the house. If you are lucky you may get some roots. Then pot it up, and grow it near a sunny window for the winter. But early spring, or midsummer is probably best in your zone for cuttings.

Polly

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I grow Limelight in Alpena. It is a very hardy plant. I have plenty of them to trade if you have any peonies or other plants to tempt me. I pass through the "Thriving Metropolis of Mikado "often.

Gary

Well thankyou everyone for your answers it's been decided..... I will wait and do a light pruning in the spring.

Gary ~ "Thriving Metropolis of Mikado "often. ........thats too funny !!!! I wish I had better success with peonies I'd take you up on that offer. For some reason peonies have not done well for me. I took the three that I have and moved them all about 2-3 wks ago. I'm hoping a different location may improve their mood for next season. Very SLOW growing for me and I believe I originally put them in a poor location so it is all my own fault.

Do you do anything special to your limelights to protect them in the winter months ?? Extra mulch, covering ...anything ??

Thanks for the info !!!

~Julie =0)

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Julie,
I'll be mulching all my hyds after the leaves finish falling and get raked up, then I'll be covering them with black plastic bags. You might need a bit more insulation than I in your zone.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Julie,

Don't do anything special for winter for Limelight, and don't cover it. Some extra mulch doesn't hurt any Hydrangea, but Limelight needs no covering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.