ID Please? (Think he's beneficial?)

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

A while back I found one of these and now I can find where I put the name. Warrior something? First time I found him what appeared to be guarding a rose. Last night I found him inside a yellow hibuscus and had apparently killed an ant! Today I found this guy at the tip of a new jasmine tendril. Boweevel, something, something?

He's about 1/2 inch long, I'd guess. Keeps the rear curved and pointed upward mostly.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2006 3:40 PM

Thumbnail by azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

In the hybiscus...

Thumbnail by azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hybiscus again...

Thumbnail by azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

And lastly...

Thumbnail by azrobin
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I don't care if he's good or bad...he's creepy!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks like an assassin bug nymph, especially if he killed the ant. I don't recall seeing this species before, however. I'll have to look him up. (I'm curious....) Assassin bugs are considered beneficial because they eat other insects.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

LOL. He looks meaner in the photo than when you see him on a plant. For some reason my close-up/zoom on him worked really well. Hehehe. I remember something Warrior something or ......

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's it! Assassin Bug, something or other. It thought it was beneficial after what I read but I couldn't remember! If you find the link ceejay, please share!

Here ya go:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/77453/bgimage

Great picture BTW. You need to post it bug files!

LOL on the assassin vs warrior. I like that!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ohhhh, that site's a beauty! thanks Ceejay!

Will definately post in Bug Files. LOL, I knew it was a killer, either way.

Thank you!

Robin

You are very welcome! Glad I could help..

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's another Assassin Bug in my rose guarding his dinner. Different pattern on his back, though. He's guarding a typical sized fly and a baby fly, I think.

Thumbnail by azrobin
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm the only one in chat - and lonely!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Awwww, Dyson. Want some FREE Yellow Hibuscus seed pods? Mine is going bonkers. I just posted in the Southwest Forum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.