Don't laugh! October Garden Club Meeting at the Cemetery!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

My son thought it was very clever of the ladies to plan a 'theme' meeting for October, but I don't think they realized what they were doing! In any case, the cemetery tour today was a big success and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in horticulture and history and art and architecture and all those things!

Of course, I am talking about the renowned Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum (easy to find just off Interstate 75 in Cincy) founded in 1854 and a property of nearly 700 acres of landscaped parkland, 100 landmark trees, five or six lakes, oh, and 40 mauseleums!

The Cemetery Docents offer over 30 different tours on different themes. Our docent presented the 'Leafs and Reliefs' tour--a close look at the symbolism in the tomb sculpture--focusing on acanthus leaves, roses, ivies, and all kinds of floriculture used in the statuary and the mausoleums. Fascinating.

Several other public tours and events coming up include:

The "Autumn Color Walking Tour" is coming up Sunday, October 15 at 1 p.m.
http://www.springgrove.org/sg/calendar/Tours/Twilight/AutumnColorWalkingTour.shtm
It will feature a look at the 100 or so 'Champion Trees' remarkable for size and age in the State and also nationally.

Saturday, October 21, the heritage foundation will present the Lantern Lighting Celebration.
http://www.springgrove.org/SG/Calendar/EventCalendar/LanternLighting.shtm

Here is the complete calendar of events for 2006.

http://www.springgrove.org/SG/Calendar/EventCalendar/EventCalendar.shtm

You can also call the Cemetery office and arrange a private tour, for say, five or six friends coming into town who are interested in big old trees, or civil war history, or all sorts of topics, for a nominal donation to the Heritage Foundation.

So stop by the cemetery and have a look (or a picnic). Who knew?!! t.

A beautiful brass angel sculpture from the Emery family...

This message was edited Oct 10, 2006 6:17 PM

Thumbnail by tabasco

The Gerrard Family mauseleum-- a wonderful neo-classic resting place for the "Cantelope King" of Cincinnati. Apparently Mr. Gerrard invented the Refrigerated Truck Trailer and made it possible for people everywhere to get fresh fruit! Fruit designs are all over his tomb.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2006 6:18 PM

Thumbnail by tabasco

Mr. Stearns and Mr. Foster's final resting places are next to each other. I hope they chose the best mattresses!

Thumbnail by tabasco

This is a bit of sculptural detail from the Burnet family's mauseleum.

It was considered quite risque at the time to arrange your naked cherubs so casually!

Thumbnail by tabasco

The Fleischmann's reside in splendour befitting the gin and yeast barons of the nineteenth century...

Thumbnail by tabasco

An elfish mauseleum for a troll family? Very cute.

Thumbnail by tabasco

And Charlie Krippendorf's obelisk.

Dr. Krippendorf was the owner of Lob's Woods, his summer estate and farm, now the Cincinnati Nature Center in Clermont County, and he was the pen pal of the famous southern garden writer, Elizabeth Lawrence. Dr. Krippendorf's woodland bulb gardens are detailed and documented in Mrs. Lawrence's garden classics "Little Blue Bulbs" and "Lob's Woods", published in 1957.

Thumbnail by tabasco

And what tour of Cincinnati's funerary monuments would be complete with out a stop at the obelisk made possible by Ivory Soap.

The Gambles' simple yet elegant marker.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Dave and I had heard many good things about the cemetery, so we made it a point of going to it after the last spring round up. We were truely amazed at the stone sculptures. The stone masons of that time must have been remarkably talented. We enjoyed it so much. Got lost also, but it was fun and the mature trees and tombs were awesome. I recommend it to all who get near Cincy in their travels. Lou

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks t!
Those shots are perfect.
We love hiking around at Spring Grove.........

Lou I'm glad you guys got to see it.
It's a must see Cincinnati attraction both from a historical and gardening standpoint.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I've done some genealogy look-ups at Spring Grove for RAOGK (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness) at Spring Grove and keep a cemetery map in the glove compartment. They have them at the office (maybe on their website, too). Otherwise, I'd end up driving in little circles all day! If you take the main drag thru the cemetery & exit at Gray Road by the groundskeepers' building (that gate open day hours only), then you can go & sample the glories of the Gray Road nurseries. Funke's will be to the right and Rahn's to the left. Both great in their own ways: Rahn's very German with plants in little military formations and Funke's very---uh, funky! Don't stop with the main greenhouse at Funke's-- walk all the way back to where the buildings end & see what they've got hanging around. They also have a good e-mail list with unadvertised specials.

Fall color from Spring Grove 2005

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

And one of their gorgeous cherries, spring, 2006.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

And here's what happens when you stand underneath the cherry tree and point the camera Up, up & away.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom--Very beautiful shots of the cherry trees. I have not been to SG when they flower, but it must be incredible--I notice they are famous for their "Spring Grove Dogwood", too, which supposedly withstands the terrible virus striking the dogwood population in the ORV.

Our daughter is in from San Francisco for this weekend, and we are looking for some 'Only in Cincinnati' excursions for her, and I think a Spring Grove Cemetery tour would qualify! We are going on the "Fall Color" tour on Sunday. Hope to get some pics of the 'Champion Trees'... Along with the Sauerkraut Festival in Waynesville tomorrow she should have some interesting tales to tell her friends back in SF!

dispatcher--good to know you liked Spring Grove, too. I think Spring Grove is not publicized enough or tourist friendly--they should have a little sign on the I-75 Exit...but maybe they want it to be an 'open' secret to keep visitors to a manageable number.

I stopped at the Gray Road nurseries after the meeting. Lots of pretty fall baskets on display at Rahn's...I bought two mums.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Tabasco,
I drove through SG today to check out the color--- they have some great dogwood colors right now. I also saw a huge bird in one of the side ponds-- at first I thought it was not real (it looked like a blue flamingo, as opposed to the ever popular pink flamingo of yard decor fame). Then it took off: it was a blue heron! Gorgeous!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Great Blues are on the move.
We've seen several in the last few weeks winging South.
Yesterday we actually saw one of the Bald Eagles riding the high wind currents........

I love that you got to SG for the color show. To catch a GB there also.......high perfect is that!

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It was a jaw-dropping moment! As for fall color, I'm grumpy because I miss the gorgeous maple that I had at my former house. It was an old three storey, with HUGE windows, & when the western light hit the tree late in the day, it simply lit up the house.
Maybe next year I can find a place for a good maple. I can always scout a good variety out at Spring Grove *G*

Hey, Ric, how come we are both listed as Cincinnati & yet I'm supposedly in zone 6a & you are in 6b?
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Actually I'm 6b/7a depending on the map most years due to the River effect.
We are only about a mile from the Ohio.

Plus we have created a serious Backyard microclimate.
As we are in a very sheltered area.
Solid fencing causes little or no wind at ground level in the backyard and tons of rock to trap heat.
Litterally tons as we had 12 tons of rock brought in.
Large mature Maple covers the whole yard trapping heat.
24" or so of leaves blown IN for Winter insulation after it's done...........

There was a serious frost again this morning.
Everything outside the yard was coated in white.
In the yard.............
The tomatoes are still fine, MG's are still flowering, Jasmine and Moonflowers not even touched.
Hummers are still hitting the Canna..............

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

OK, Ric, I'm seriously jealous. Maple tree, full fence, jasmine, moonflowers--- all things I haven't gotten around to yet. Congratulations on the garden, & take a long sniff of the jasmine for me!
Pat

Louisville, KY

Thanks for a gret thread. Here in Louisville we have cave hill cemetary with a rich history and beautiful flowers and trees as well.

It also flies the confederate flag over hundreds of confederate soldiers as well as the American flag over thousands of American soldiers.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pat,
We lucked out on the Maple it was here as is a 75 year old Oak 30' from our property to the South.
Unlucky on the other Maple we had to take down, wallet says OUCH!, though now we have sun in at least part of our yard.

The fence and rock work took two years but well worth it.
Cooler in the Summer and a touch warmer in Winter.
This Summer we extended the fence to incorporate the Backyard so we get even more protection.

The yard's pretty much toast now but if you're ever over near Old Coney Island give me a yell....

Ric

Went back to Spring Grove on Sunday with the family for the Fall Color tour with a horticulturalist guide. Sorry to say the tour wasn't as fascinating as the 'Leafs and Motifs' tour, but my DD won the door prize-- a basket with some Spring Grove Honey and Tea, which made it worthwhile!

We did see the Spring Grove Dogwood and some pretty big trees. And we saw a Red-tail Hawk sitting on General Lytle's monument. No Great Blues or Eagles.

There are lots of Civil War graves in Spring Grove too. I think they said 40 generals are buried there, along with thousands of soldiers, both confederate and union. Didn't see any confederate flags, though. They said the hospital train came through the cemetery which made it convenient for those who didn't make it...mmm....

Ric--would you say we were in Zone 6b too? Winter seems pretty mild here (at least compared to when we lived in Wisconsin!).

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'd say you're 6b too.
Up on that hill backyard is pretty well protected too.
I'd say very little wind hits you from the North.
All that cold around you staying in the valleys.
How bad a frost did you get?

Ric

Not much frost at all. I do notice the gardeners in Hyde Park/Eden Park have their plants in bloom a bit earlier than Anderson, though.

I wish we had more sunshine in our yard.

Interesting micro-climates around here with all the hills and vales and the rivers--and the northern suburbs are in fairly flat land... all a bit different.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, Thanks for the invite. Maybe I'll come in the spring when things are perking up. I plan on getting my bulbs in & starting a long winter of hibernation working on my genealogy stuff.
TImeinabottle, speaking of genealogy & cemeteries, I just located the grave of a relative in Cave Hill Cemetery (at least I found it online). Cave Hill looks gorgeous!
Tabasco, there was a Civil War training camp not too far from Spring Grove: Camp Washington. Now better known for its chili parlor. If you venture even deeper into the west side, you can go to Wesleyan Cemetery in Northside. It has hundreds of Civil War burials, but most are unmarked. Very sadly, the cemetery board of trustees fell into the hands of a man who promptly spent the upkeep funds on his own family (& probably the horses & the girls & the bottle &...you get the picture). There was a neighborhood group trying to mow & keep it up, but I haven't been by lately to see if they got enough $$$ & people power to give it a good mow before winter.
Here is a favorite picture from Wesleyan--- check out the direction of the "S" when it occurs.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Interesting Pat!
Many times, as I'm sure you know, there are hidden meanings and symbols on headstones and monuments.
This appears to be a simple error but..........why was it let go..........?
There 'may' be more to this................

I also do genealogy and tis the season! lol

Amazingly two cemeteries w/ some of my relatives are a twenty minute drive from here.
Amazingly as were are from the Lexington/Dayton areas.
Seems a branch lighted around here...lol

There is a Great African-American Civil War/Military cemetery a couple of minutes from here.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0LFT/is_1_44/ai_82609388

Also one of the oldest Methodist churches in OH and it's graveyard can almost be seen from our house.

I propose a Spring Grove Tour, R/U, whatever this coming Spring and Summer....
w/ enough members we could probably set up a private guided tour..............
Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, That is so sad abt Hillcrest! But LOL abt the number of KY transplants here in Southern OH. One of my genealogy friends said that if you took all the hillbillies out of southern ohio, they'd have to turn the power off-- there'd be nobody left!
3 of my grandparents were born & bred in KY, the other was from Highland County, OH. They all ended up in Middletown.
I just got my Colorblends order delivered today. I need to get out & plant some so I'll something to show off this spring!
Spring flower tours sound great to me.

Very interesting about Hillcrest Cemetery. I wonder who owns the property or who is supposed to be in charge of it? Also am trying to place it here in Anderson--I'm thinking it's in the 4 mile area? I like exploring cemeteries, but they give some people the creeps...

I think a Spring Grove Tour for the RU might be fascinating. And I am sure there is a place we could meet for a pot luck...not exactly close, but the Civic Garden Center has a nice meeting room with a kitchen and we could do the daffodil walk there at the same time...or there are all kinds of parks around the Cemetery.

We have been putting in our bulbs, too. Planted all kinds of containers of tulips and minor bulbs. Will do some daffs and hyacinths this weekend.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hillcrest has been reborn.
The Corp of Engineers, Veterans Groups, Scouts, etc have really turned the place around.
t just go south past Salem Gardens, left at light (on Sutton), Pass 4 Mile and Eversole...
Hillcrest is immediately around the bend on the right.

Really a forgotten slice of American History.
It's now being mapped and all graves will be located and marked.

Many of my Brumagen G-Aunts ended up in Middletown.
If you picked your own Strawberries in the 50's and 60's on Dixie Hwy....that was my G-Aunt Margret and Uncle Smitey's place. One of my Aunts lived by a Babysat the Maguire Sisters!! LOL!

The Family split after the Civil War, most stayed in Fayette Co KY.
The Rebels went to Robertson Co, KY.
They ran shine and are still REAL down home.
At a recent funeral for a 97 year old distant Cousin they showed up.
His G-Daughter said it was like the Darlin's on Andy Griffith had come to town.
They stayed in the background till the body was lowered, then hats in hand, came up and paid r'spects.
Then handing her a pie and a pint of shine (her G-dad's favorite drink) they piled back in their trucks and slid away.
Over the years I've had a few run-ins w/ them.
Decent folk. Quiet and deeply religious women. Rough, honest and seriously mean men.
My Grandmother called them the Hill Jacks..........

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric,
I DO remember picking strawberries-- prob in the late 50's-- tho' I can't remember much more than the berries. Yum!
I had plenty of relatives in Lexington. Loved that town. They were mostly from the Flack family (originally from Bath & Montgomery counties) & married into the Montague & Parsons families. I remember a couple of Lexington funerals I went to, the most memorable was when my father got hysterical (with suppressed laughter) at the very flowery eulogy of a man who, by all accounts, was a thoroughgoing stinker. Dad had to leave when the man got to praising the dead man as such a great Christian (Everybody knew he hadn't darkened the door of a church since he'd gotten married 40 years before). It was memorable all right!
KY is such a great place to do genealogy research. The only thing I dread finding, though, is the listing of "family cemetery" on a death certificate. That usually means climbing hills, dodging copperheads, clothes torn up by brambles, & often, no readable stone. The alternative is that the "family cemetery" sometimes equalled "the front yard."
Here's an overexposed picture of me a couple years ago upon finding a couple tombstones I'd been looking for for abt 10-15 years. I was a happy camper even thogh I had to chop down saplings with a borrowed hatchet to get to the stones. This is right on the border between Montgomery & Menifee counties.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.