Confederate Roses ! 1st bloom of the season!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Im so happy! this is only the 3rd year since I put the first 6inch canes in the ground and my confederate Roses are 12 ft tall and blooming ! I will be cutting them back after the first frost when they die back!
If anyone would like canes and instructions for rooting and growing just DM me and I will be more than happy to share! shipping postage only!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

these are blooms are about 4 to 6 inches across! there are any where from 6 to 10 blooms on each branch! they will bloom until frost!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i didnt cut mine back last year and its full of blooms ready to burst open. i cant wait to see it. the greenery came back off the pprevious stalks and sent up more stalks also. so mine is huge. will have to get a pic.

congrats on your first bloom of the season.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Good Morning Imzadi,
Arent they beautiful!!!! My Dad gave me my first canes 3 years ago. He has always cut his back. His shrubs are now huge! They look more like giant trees , with some of the main trunks 4 to 5 inches across! He started giving out canes years ago from his oldest one and I think everyone in Milledgeville Georgia has at least one of his plants!!! When you drive around Lake Sinclair in early Fall the Pink is everywhere!!!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

everyone here cuts theirs back too. i had a hurt back last year and never got to cut mine back. i figured when it was time for it to grow i would cut the stalks out of it when the new ones emergered. well it started to grow back on those stalks. then we debated was it gonna flower at all on the old stalks. i will try to get its pic tommorow as it was sprinkiling all day here.

i couldnt believe how well they has done not being cut back. they are huge now. and the flower bud count is awesome too.

i would love a few more but i am terrible at rooting things. i know you just stick them in water but i have a brown thumb when it comes to rooting things. ill just eventually go buy a few more. hehe

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's my white that turns to pink. I didn't cut mine back but the old stalks died on their own.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh Georgiaredclay, That is soooooooo beautiful!!! When mine open they are a light baby pink then turn darker as the bloom matures until it closes a deep Rose color! That White is perfect! Hmmmm, Wanna do a little trading on canes?????

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have the pink but will send you a cutting for postage when I cut it back.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's a picture of it with an old bloom and a new bloom on the tree. Sort of gives a look at the two colors. The white when it turns to pink is about the color that the pink starts out at.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

woops

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

That is so pretty! Yes please send me a cane! I will DM you with Address!

Heres my pink with what I call a "Today, Yesterday and Tomorrow", picture

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

How long do these bloom for you guys? Also what kind of conditions do they like. This time of year I don't have much going on in my yard so I might beable to find room for one of these. Just waiting for my camillas to start flowering.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey CoreHHI, My Con. Roses< ( hybiscus Seninsis) I believe thats right , will bloom until the first hard frost! Usually the bushes are covered with blooms. They last only one full day and start closing the second day! There are so many blooms though that you dont mind losing them after such a short period of time!
the one thing about them that I really love is the fact that they take care of themselves! they dont require rich soil, and they never seem to attract any unwanted bugs! They grow so fast that you are rewarded the very first year after planting the canes in early Spring! Since they dont get any blooms until Early autumn, they actually have enough time to set a couple of blooms their first season!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

mine had buds about a month ago and started blooming a week or so ago. they like full sun and mine seem to flower better with lots of water once blooms set. but other then that they are a leave alone plant. shoot mine think they get a treat with fertilizer. hehe they really are an easy plant.

that white one is so pretty!!!!

i had a few camellias bloom recently. i just hope i dont lose any like i did last couple years with the ice storms.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Well we had that First Frost!! The Roses are still perking along though! They got "Burned" but the buds that hadnt opened are doing well! I thinking they will be fine for at least another month!

I just want all you lovely people that sent requests for canes to know that Im watching the bushes real close and as soon as they show signs of dying back, I will cut them and have them in the mail to you!
Lynn

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine in bloom too...mine is about twelve feet tall...I have white blooms that turn pink...and dark pink blooms that get darker on the same tree..here are some pics.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

to pink:

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Pink bloom and bud...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Are yours on two different trees? Someone had mentioned they were trying to find a double white that turns to pink...I didn't realize there were different ones...I guess I am a little confused since I have both white blossoms and pink blossoms on the same one...from both white buds and pink buds...does that make sense..lol

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

OOoooohhh, janet, yours are so pretty! Mine are only the light pink to dark rose colors! Maybe yours have been grafted? You think? Did yours start as a seed or a plant?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Nope, mine started as a cutting...but you know what, I may have put two cuttings in one hole when I planted it, perhaps that is why I have both types on what appears to be one bush...hmmm...I will have to investigate, I didn't think of that before..but it could have happened! I had at least three cuttings and I have one there in the picture and another in a different bed...hmmmm...so could be...but they just started two or three years ago...with eight inch cuttings...from a friend.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

That is probably it!! Whoo Hoo,!!! now I know what to do when i get another color! Yaay!!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey that is a great idea. One that I will be using next spring.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Very much by accident...I assure you...LOL BUT I did see on another site where they will plant two or three different cuttings of hibiscus together to get the mulitple colored bushes...I thought that was cool...maybe plant a pretty red with a white center eye, with a red flowering one...one with a really big flower and the other with a smaller type bloom..thought I might try that too...or just start some seeds this winter and see what I can come up with..LOL Bet the Texas Star Red would look pretty with the Big White Luna with the Red eye...hmmm

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Janet we will be having a roundup in your yard if you get all of those growing together.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

OOOhhhh, that would be fun! LOL

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Did I hear someone say we're having ANOTHER roundup at Janet's house? LOL Y'all must see her gardens....Just breathtaking. You'd think you stepped into a BetterHomes&Gardens magazine!
Eufaula, congrats (a little late) on your first blooms! Here's hoping it's still blooming for you in mid-Nov.

Deborah

The stinkin' squirrels ATE MY CONFEDERATE ROSE FLOWERS!!
They have every kind of nut they could want here, and when it was raining, they ate the buds and young white flowers off of the confederate rose. OHHH! And it was 3rd year and gorgeous this year too. Loaded with flowers.
I'm moving it. Even if I have to start all over again with cuttings, I'm moving it away from where squirrels might be tempted. They jump off the roof onto the plant now. Grrrr!
There is the most gorgeous confederate rose blooming at a wildlife sanctuary in decatur. Right by the road. It's loaded with bloom and sits on the woodland's edge. Everything around it is dark green, and it shines such a bright, lovely pink. And there are...NO SQUIRRELS eating the flowers, lol.

GGG

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Y'all,
Well the cold finally got to some of my "Roses", there still are buds waiting to open on most . I understand that there will be a rise in the temps this weekend so It might not be a good thing to cut them back just yet! I wouldnt want them to "Bleed" out on me!
I love our Georgia weather , but it does keep you Guessing!
Awwww, GGG, Im sorry the Squirrels love your "Roses"! I've never had that problem,(yet)! Maybe yours are there only temptation right now! The fatter the Squirrel , the lazier they are, so easy food sources are High on the menu! At my house, they are robbing the Chickens of there feed! My little fuzzy critters wobble, instead of walk!

Dallas, GA

Help from anyone. I've moved from Cartersville, Ga where I left two Confederate Rose plants. I thought it might be easy to find replacements, but its not. We live in Dallas, Ga and haven't had any luck finding seeds or better yet, some shoots.

Thanks,

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I would be patient until the stores start getting them in. Most people want to buy them with blooms and mine are still dormant. I would imagine the growers have them in greenhouses (or they come in from FL) and are putting on a few more weeks of growth in preparation for sales in April or May.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

They sell around here in gallon pots for $5. Mine is still dormant also.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hello Wounded Tatonka! You have a Dmail, and a "Rose" on its way! E.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.