Cannas for the semi shade ????

Cincinnati, OH

I am a Cannaohlic- Its true my friends, my problem is that my Yard is more suited for Hostas.

Are there any Cannas that will bloom in these conditions?

This message was edited Oct 9, 2006 5:19 PM

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Have you tried the Stuttgart variety? They thrive in my shade - - - and bloom constantly!
Belinda :-)

Cincinnati, OH

You make my heart sing!!!! - No I have not treid them
I live in Cincinnati is that going to be a problem?
Where do you buy them?
What color are they?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

the 3rd vendor on this pages shows it available. the other 2 don't. you may want to contact them.

http://davesgarden.com/ps/go/37576/

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

I found my last two on eBay and they both did really well - - - your area won't be a problem at all for them. I simply love the varigated foliage and dainty orange blooms! Let me know how they work for you!
Belinda :-)

Cincinnati, OH

Thanks folks

Does anyone have any photographs of the Stuttgart?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

got that link above and do a search for Stuttgart. or google images. :)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I have been growing Tropicanna and Pretoria for several years. They are the verigated leaves with orange blooms. I noticed that the tropicanna and the pretoria have better --brighter colors on their leaves in partial sun/partial shade. They bloom in the partial sun also. The foliage is beautiful in partial sun. When I plant them out in full sun--they look bleached--dengy--faded. So next year I am making a canna bed that gets mid day to evening shade just for the Tropicanna and Pretoria cannas. The shaded ones had about 10 hours filtered sunlight under trees and two hours full sun.

Good Luck.
Happy Canna Gardening

Cricket

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.