Any fruit tree growers out there?

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

I'm in the process of expanding my small mini orchard. The keyword being "small". Since I live in the hot, humid deep south, I'm buying low chill trees. Right now. I've got apple, pear, plum, peach, and nectarine trees and I'm looking for more. Unfortunately, dwarfs don't do well in my area and I'm stuck with buying standards. The rootstocks recommended for my area are Lovell and Nemaguard. I've heard about a new rootstock called Guardian but I haven't been able to find it. Bummer! Anybody else growing fruit trees?

Pete2

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a small orchard-and growing!!! i have pear,apples,peaches,apricots,nectarines,plums,cherries and mulberry.
several different types of each.
i plan on buying more this spring. i also have black walnut trees!(lots)
I am in the cold North-Michigan. We always have a hard time with the apricot tree-usually get a killing frost before shes done bloosoming!
dori

You're so lucky!You can grow all the apple and cherry varieties that I want to grow. Apricots really? What variety have you got planted?

Pete2

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

You're so lucky you can grow magnolia, mt.lauerls and so much more! My family lives around wildwood, ga. and sand mountain alabama--i envy all the plant life-not the bug life there! ;]
The bird or squirels always beat us to the sweet cherries...i tote around a bb gun alot!
The apricot is a very early bloomer-mid april. Ive been here 10 yrs now and only one yr was a bumper crop-no late freeze. I have 2 smaller ones i bought from a mailorder one is about 5ft now and the other is tiny-darn bunnies have got it 2 winters in a row-next fall i will remember to cover her!

Well, that's true. I can grow those but I want apples and cherries! (grin) Bugs? Oh yes!!! You name them and we've got them. That reminds me that it will be deer fly season in a couple of months. Those are the biting flies from hell that take chunks out of your skin when they bite. Ouch!

Pete2

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

I live about 60 miles north of notmartha and the frost gets my fruit trees just about every year. I must say it is all my fault. When I bought the trees I didn't pay any attention to zones. This year I am going to get some trees for my area.
Might I HIGHLY recomend the white fleshed peaches to everyone! They are soooooooo taste! :)

Sari

Sari, what variety are your peaches? They sure sound good. One thing that I noticed in the mail order catalogs that I get is that they never put the chill hours out by the different varieties. That just drives me nuts!!! Of course, I know why they don't...they sell more product that way. I also found that the rootstock they use is not always good for my area. It sure gets complicated don't you think?

Pete2

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

What about figs? Will they survive where you are. Unfortunately my husband is a fig fanatic, so I don't have any to trade this year.

Figs grow really well here. I see you're in Fla, gingerlily. There are some great new fruit trees on the market that grow in Fla. I was just reading about some of the latest research and testing on low chill peaches for Florida. They've got peaches out now that are really low chill at 100 hours or less on Nemaguard and Lovell rootstock. I found a nursery that carries low chill fruit varieties (apples, pears, peaches, nectarines) that will even grow in zone 9 in Fla. If you're interested, I'll find it for you and post it. Just let me know. BTW, what variety of fig do you have planted?

Pete2

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

I have a mini orchard of mostly semi-dwarf, 2 Panamint Nectarine, Black Mission Fig, Elberta Peach, Santa Rosa Plum, 5-in-one Apple ( 5 varieties on one tree) 2 White Mulberry( a decoy for the birds) A fruit Coctail tree , Nectarine, plum, peach. all in one tree. An apricot, my neighbor gave it to me. I dont know what it is. The Fig is doing great. I love the foliage. I am in zone 8 1/2 or B also. Just the humidity is a lot lower. I am not happy with my 5 in 1 apple tree. It is not producing well.YOu should be able to grow the elberta peach.And everything I am growing. Most are doing very well.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I have a few apple trees, 2 semi dwarf and 3 dwarf, get lots of apples from them everh year. Had a few peach trees, but they only had fruit once and the squirrels got it all b4 me. Don't have them anymore. Would love to have a few cherry trees.

Hi michelle5000 and jody. Your orchards sound great! For some reason, I thought "Elberta" was a high chill peach and so I didn't buy one. But, since you're in 8b and it's doing well, I may try it. I think Elberta is the best tasting peach ever...so big, sweet, and juicy. I'm making myself hungry just talking about it. ;) Michelle, here's a link to the CA extension offices. They have some incredible publications online, especially Davis University. I wasn't sure where your city was and which extension service you would use.
http://www.reeusda.gov/statepartners/ca.htm

Jody, I would think you'd be able to grow cherries with your chill hours really well. Here's a link for you to the free Maryland publications and other info. Just click on publications on the left side of your screen and find the info about fruits.
http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/hgic/

Both of those sites I posted have some great info! There may be some new varieties they've posted that you'd like to give a try.:)

Pete2

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Pete, The Elberta Peach is also VERY Productive. I will the check it out immediatley. What temperature is it there now? Average lowest temps are 30's and 40's rarely in the teens. What altitude are you? That helps too. That is what makes me 8 1/2 instead , Palm Springs is like Zone 10 just 45 minutes from here.Also ask lots of questions at your local nursery.

It's in the 60's right now and very windy. It has been in the 70's up until yesterday. I'm at sea level...literally. The water is about 150 feet from my back door.

Pete2

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

I have an asian pear tree and planning to get an arctic peach - would love an pricot but they wouldnt do well here. I would also die for a fig tree, and a loquat tree. these are fruit that I grew up eating, and I miss them.
I would kill for a loquat right now.....yummmmmmm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.