eggs due on l7th and I got chicks now

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

We're incubating chicken eggs, their due to hatch on the l7th of October, and I got a chick today and 6 more have peeped the egg, I candled them last night, more have already broken through the membrane inside and are about to peep the egg. Is this normal? for them to hatch that soon before hatch date?

kathy

Falls Mills, VA

Kathy:
Hmmmm.....when did you start these eggs? Around Sept 26 would have put the hatch date at Oct 17. Any chicken eggs I have hatched in an incubator have hatched right at 21 days, never sooner.
Virginian

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Sometimes if the incubator is on the warmer side of 99 and the humidity is right and you started you counting days off they will hatch a little sooner.

Did you take them off the turner? If not they might get caught up in it, so do that right away.

Congratulations Mommy :) Remember while you put them in the brooder to teach them how to drink and eat. Isn't this exciting?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I turn them by hand, 3 times a day, and had the incubator going3 day s before I put the eggs in. 28 days before October l7th is when I put the eggs in

I have 8 baby chicks now and 5 more have peeped the eggs. ALL have live inside. a few infertile. BEautiful little healthy mutts LOL meaning, mix breeds.

I did do something right this time.

I had another incubator going, and hatched off 8 of those eggs, out of 3 dozen, turned the incubator up instead of down and fried every egg in there, had the heat up to 110, I was just sick, no one else made it. TERRIBLE thing I did, I murdered everyone of them. So sad!!!

kathy

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

That's why your chicks are early lol. It's 21 days for chickens lol. Good Job. What's the head count today?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well Darn, I thought it was 28 LOL good deal then. I'm right on schedule ha ha

kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.