Fixing cracks in clay containers

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Hi,

Over the weekend I bought 3 large clay (22" diameter, 30" height) containers (made in Mexico), they are beautiful but each one has a hairline crack that runs on the side from the bottom to the top of the pot, these cracks are barely visible from the outside but are more visible from the inside, and this is why I got them for $2 each.
How do I fix these so that they can hold soil and plants without breaking. I was thinking of wraping some rust free wire around these and tightening the wire. The pots have grooves running around them, so it would be easy to wrap the wire without it slipping off. I was also thinking of getting the fibre mesh that is used to fix cracks in dry wall, and use this on the inside of the pot using some silicon glue.

Are there any other way of fixing these pots. Any help appreciated.

thanks,
xman

vancouver, Canada

There are many epoxies that can fix this. Use a SLOW setting thin epoxy that can run into the crack before curing then after that you could use the epoxy to create a inch wide strip over the crack on the inside to help preven it pulling apart.

Good luck!

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

ah_hoya,

Thanks for your reply. The cracks are so thin that the epoxy will not penetrate it. What kind of epoxy do I get? Is this better than the silicon glue?

thanks,
xman

vancouver, Canada

Hi xman
A boat repair shop can sell you the right kind of stuff. They are experts in this kind of stuff.

There are also crack filler superglues that are almost thin like like water and suck right into a crack but I've never used them.
A thick epoxy spread across the crack on the inside should work as well, but remember when you fill this pot there will be forces pushing the crack apart.
I'm pretty glue clueless with other types. :)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

f6r22 ~ I would use enjoy your pots with a plastic pot holding the plants in it. That way you don't have to worry about it breaking with a plant in it or whatever you repair the crack with affected your plants. Good luck, pod

Turlock, CA(Zone 9a)

I remember reading about how they fix clay pots in Italy. They drill small holes on either side of the crack and run thin copper wire through to ''lace up' the crack.This same article mentions how the sun glinting off the wire in these pots is quite pretty.I don't know how time consuming this would be, but it sure sounded nice!

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all the replies.

I am thinking of using "Liquid Nails" adhesive and the fiber mesh on the inside to fix the cracks, but the comments from podster has got me wondering if the liquid nails would affect the plants. I am planning to use these large pots for some Japanese maples and would hate to lose them because of some chemical in the glue.
I called the liquid nails manufacturer and they are not sure if it will or not.
I like kimmers idea, but these are hair line cracks that you can barely see and drilling all the holes may seem like an overkill in this situation.

what do you all think?

thanks,
xman

vancouver, Canada

Liquid Nails is the name for a whole line up of different glues. Exactly which Liquid Nails product are you planning to try.
IMO I think once the carrier for the glue has evaporated away you should be fine. You could always cover the glued area with a strip of heavy poly to keep the glue out of direct contact with the soil just to make sure.

Scottsdale, AZ

Liquid Nails can be replaced with Gorilla Glue in this instance and it works great. I've used it on mine with good results.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 7:57 PM

Thumbnail by woofie
Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

I have used DRYLOCK in some of my pots. I only paint the inside sides, unless you do not care if it does not drain. The Drylock gets in the cracks and seals them. I have done a few HUGE terra cotta pots, and turned them into water pots for water plants. I sil. a large tile in the bottom to cover the drainage hole, the painted 2 coats of Drylock inside the pots, leaving a 2" unpainted rim from the top of the pot...let it dry for 2 days, filled it with water and added water plants.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
(I couldn't bring myself to yank out these stupid petunias that don't realize they're annuals. They're going on their third year now.)

I read what you typed, looked at the pic, looked at your location, back at the pic, back at your location...

*thud*

Seriously? Three years? Just indoors, by ^that^ window? Multiple winters?

In Washington?

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 7:58 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

There is a product called 'fiberglass gel'...several companies make it. Check at an automotive store like NAPA. It's a two part process, but the hardened gel won't hurt plants...and will be there longer than your pot.

You'll need something strong like this if you're planting Japanese Maples. The growing roots exert a lot of force on the pot sides.

I'd spread it a couple inches on either side of the crack on the inside and at least 1/4" thick. You don't have to coat the entire interior with it, but a band all the way around the middle an inch or so wide will give it extra strength and won't hurt your drainage.

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

thanks for all the replies.

This is how I ended up fixing the cracks, hope it holds. I bought the fiber glass mesh tape that is used to fix cracks on drywall etc., I placed this on the inside of the container on the crack along its length, and then I applied liquid Quikcrete(this usually used to fix cracks in buildings etc, and it is listed as being flexible). I applied this paste to completely cover the mesh and more. Dried out in a day, and seems to be holding fine.

thanks,
xman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.