NE Flower show bulb challenge

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I just got a look at the rule schedule book for the 2007 NE Spring Flower show and I wanted to see what bulbs were on the challenge section list. They are Tulip 'Salmon Pearl' and Narcissus 'Monal'. They are the two standard challenges. They always have a tulip and a narcissus challenge. The real prize was Muscari macrocarpum 'Golden Fragrance'. I was amazed! A golden yellow grape hyacinth. I had seen bicolors and white before but never yellow!! I just ordered myself some from Brent and Becky's and you may be sure I will be trying to force them for the show. I did order enough to put a group of them out in the yard. I can't wait till they get here!
Anybody interested in participating in the flower show, let me know. I would be happy to point you in the right direction.
Martha

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

hi martha. nice to see you.
debi & franklin

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Debi and the fabulous Franklin!
I've been recuperating and doing as much outside gardening as possible to prepare for winter. not as much time on the computer, but some. Got in-laws coming in on Friday so that means i have to vacuum!!! sigh.
Good to hear from you!
Martha

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Does that mean they think those varieties are extra-challenging?

xxxxx, Carrie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

yep, computer times goes way down during gardening season. i haven't s0ent this much time on dg in months.
later............debi & franklin (my little gardening pekingese)

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

um, no. The varieties are what amused the challenge committee this year. they are regular bulbs, which you can purchase from the committee or independently. The challenge is to get them to bloom max during the judging days at the show. They change the third bulb category from time to time. Last year it was Amaryllis 'Picotee' instead of the Muscari. But they always have a tulip and daffodil category as well as flower and vegetable seed categories. I started my amaryllis too late for the show and I only had an unopened bud on entry day last year, but it was exciting and my first time to try it. I am going to try the daffodil class as well. I need to find some terra cotta bulb pots. See what shakes out. The Flower Show rules schedule book is a PDF on file at the Massachusetts Horticultural Society website:
www.masshort.org
if you are interested in seeing what the other challenge varieties are.
Off to water plants now,
Martha

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

too much pressure for me, Martha, but good luck to you. sounds like a good winter project.

gram

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks. I anticipate not being a chairperson after the 2007 show and I want to get back into exhibiting more extensively. Also, I have a bit more time during the day since I don't have to show up at school in the afternoons anymore to pick up my child and all her friends and take them home from school. I can do things like water my plants better and do the cuttings and plant the bulbs and all that kind of stuff I didn't have any time to do in daylight hours for a long time. It's only about an hour or so a day, but it makes a big difference.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.