Storing Corkscrew Vine Root

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi!

I purchased 5 corkscrew vine seeds and managed to get one plant. It didn't bloom this year and I would like to save the root and give it another try next year (I've heard this is possible). If anyone has experience doing this, please let me know the best way to store the root. I'm a novice gardener, so any help would be greatly appreciated :~)

Denise

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't know about the plant that hasn't formed a tuber, but if it has a tuber (mine is huge), I just cut it off and store it dry, doing nothing until spring. I keep it under the work bench in my heated basement.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Zville123 - you might try D-mailing OhioBreezy. She grows corkscrew vine in Ohio regularly and could probably give you some hints on how to keep it over the winter in your area.

~Sunny

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping I'll be smelling the blooms next summer LOL.

I have some fragrant corkscrew vine seeds and would like to winter sew them. Has anyone done this in zone 8B ... and if so when do I need to start them? I know it will be a while yet, but am trying to get my ducks in a row. LOL
Thanks ... Elaine

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Elaine, your ducks will always be in a row, and if not, they will still be caring ones,,, hugs, Elaine (in Lizella) good luck with corkscrew vines. Am going to read some more about them..

Hi Elaine ... from your friend Elaine! wahahaha! And how does your garden grow? ;)

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

you can just overwinter the plants inside, no need to dig up the tubers that form. As for starting the seed, I nick the seed, soak overnight in warm water until they swell up, then plant in potting soil and give them bottom heat around 68-70 degrees and they usually pop up in 1 to 2 weeks. I would not attempt to winter sow them outside, they are tropical and need heat.
There are a couple of really informative threads in the Vines Climbers forum, here is one I started last year. Maybe it will answer some questions for you.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/542364/
Good Luck and Happy Gardening
Donna

Thanks Donna ... wonderful info! :-)
~Elaine~

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

You are very welcome! :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.