My First

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been wanting to try my hand at one of these and was at Lowe's last night and found this little Saracenia Purpurpurea..Question, do I leave it in this little container a while longer or re-pot it and if I leave it in it's container do I leave the lid on or off and any other info. on care I would really appreciate it....
Thanks a bunch
Vickie

Thumbnail by SnowBird56

Congratulations Vickie. It's not a tropical plant so you'll need to plant it outside. If it doesn't get a rest over the winter, it will die. It's just like any other temperate species plant and needs to go dormant over the winter. Leave the lid off until you plant it.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I was hoping to keep it going in the GH but I guess not so how is it planted outside in the garden and where is the best place. Which potting mis is the best?
Thanks

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Plant it in a 50/50 mix of either peat and sand or peat and perlite in the spring. Put in a cool but NOT freezing place for the winter. Leave the cover OFF. Although Purps are found in the wild up into Canada so it may just survive outside in the freezing cold. Mine are in my unheated attic, I don't have a basement or garage...

During the growing season place in FULL Sun and keep it sitting in a tray of water about 1-2 inches high.

Tom

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Tom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.