Zone 5...newbie prepare for prairie winter

Normal, IL

I apologize for repeating this topic....but could not find the thread or applicable posts.

I live in Central Illinois, zone 5. In August, I planted 85+ Iris varieties after tilling in rich mushorrom compost, gypsum, and Osmocote. My beds have absolutely no windbreak....and the terrain encourages a wind tunnel effect on the south and west sides of the house. (So next spring, I will be asking for staking suggestions.)

My primary question is after the first freeze, should I trim the green back to one inch ?? from the rhizome? My thoughts are that this will lessen the likelihood of the wind uprooting the Iris.

Any suggestions of care are very appreciated.

thank you

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Normally, I would not recommend cutting back green foliage at all, as it will continue to feed the plant. If, however, your wind is strong enough to uproot new transplants, it might be advisable to cut your foliage back just enough to prevent uprooting. In lieu of cutting back foliage, you could place a fist-sized rock on top of each rhizome to anchor it in place until it is firmly rooted in.

Laurie

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I don't cut the foliage down on mine either, and I also live in some flat prairie land where the winds blow about 90% of the time. I do make sure to get the dried up foliage away from the plant before winter sets in though.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Why do you have to remove the dried up foliage?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I like to remove it so it doesn't create a mat that holds moisture around the rhizome, which will cause it to rot.

Also, the adult moths of the iris borer mate in the fall and deposit the eggs on the dried up foliage, and the eggs overwinter on that foliage.

Here's a site that explains iris borers. http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/IPM.asp?code=65&group=22&level=s

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Oh, that makes sense.

With some of my rhizomes, though, if I removed all the dried up leaves, I'd have nothing left!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The dried up leaves aren't doing anything for your irises, anyway, so there's no reason to keep them on the plants.

Newfoundland, NJ

I always leave the leaves on the rhizomes as well as any tree leaves that fall on them as a natural mulch. I think it gives natural insulating protection to the rhizome. Also it protects them from animals like deer walking all over them in the winter.. Then I remove it in the early spring, before the borers hatch.
I really don't know if it is better to remove the dead leaves or not. I'd love to hear from someone who tried it both ways and which is better. And then again, different parts of the country under different conditions may favor one approach over another.
Laetitia

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Joan, do you have the dread borer in ND?
inanda

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We aren't supposed to have borers here, from what I've read, but I have found a few when dividing iris.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hmm.... Guess I had better be more watchful when dividing iris next yer.
Thanks
inanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.