Worms or rodents?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Do I have good guys or bad guys? Out in my yard are a lot of crumbly little hills of dirt. They look like worm castings, but there are a lot of them. Should I be concerned or pleased? I either have a lot of big worms, or something less desirable tunneling under my yard.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

WH, can you post a photo of the "castings"? I'm wondering if CO has the type of termites that build tubes?
Hopefully they are just worms, but a picture can help. Mother Nature has so many variations.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

They could be ant hills. Or they could be worm castings - there are certain worms that will make little hills. Or they could be hills that crawfish make, but I doubt it in Colorado, and besides, they aren't usually described as little hills...

I would dig one up and see what I find.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Unless it's a strange kind of ant, I doubt if it's an ant hill. It really looks like worm castings, sort of crumbly little clods of dirt on the surface of the soil.

I'll look for the crawfish, though. Don't they make good eating?

I do hope it's not termites! I have enough bugs!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Those 'little clods of dirt' sound just like what my nightcrawlers leave ~ great for twisting an ankle! Many times you can see a pencil-size hole. Usually easy to find as they leave a semi-bare spot in the grass.

No hole seen here because the ground is very moist right now.

Thumbnail by Moby
Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I really do think it's worms. I "dissected" a couple clumps. I get crumbly loose earth, and a couple pencil-size holes.

Great! I can do with more worms. My lawn sure needs something.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Are you far from Cherry Creek? Apparently that is known for crawfish, crawdads, crayfish whatever you want to call 'em.....I swear I have seen crayfish in the middle of Los Angeles, not far from LaBrea! Take a look at night, with a flashlight, if they're worms, they're hard to sneak up on because they can sense your footsteps and duck back in their holes quick

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey! I used to live near Cherry Creek! Don't remember any crawfish mounds there, but sure had prairie dogs!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.