Lasagna Soil Mix

Spring City, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm trying to build a bed with my end-of-season leftovers for soil. Unless I buy something else, the layers will look like this:

red clay forked into pieces to 8"
1" wet newspapers
2" shredded bark & sandy loam
1/4" alfalfa cubes soaked and broken into pieces
2" peat moss
2" mushroom compost
2" shredded bark & sandy loam

Does this look like it would work? (Thanks)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I would skip the peat. If you research it, it's a pretty controversial subject. Besides, it costs money! So does the alfalfa. Depending on the amount of other stuff you're using; you could need a lot. Is the bark free, or are you going to buy it? It looks like an expensive lasagna bed to me! What about free stuff, like grass clippings and leaves. That's all I used on my lasagna beds (with newspaper) and they turned out great.

Karen

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I pile my news papers much thicker,like about 6"-8",and first put my good compost,then paper,and any organic material avalible.(wood chips,grass clippings,leaves,etc.Mike

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I too have used 6" of newspapers (soaked), layered with grass clippings and home made compost and had succcess.

Spring City, TN(Zone 7b)

No extra grass clippings -- the yard needs them . No compost with all the dogs -- they would revolt if I put food of any sort in there! Very few leaves, mostly pine needles, and I already have slightly acidic soil. Planr material I compost right in the bed -- for instance, I cut the canna leaves back and used them as mulch for the cannas.

And I'm starting with compacted red clay after the construction, and a steep red clay bank that I am terracing by hand. PURCHASING ingredients is the only option right now.

I will probably use a lot more paper now that I think of it. And does anyone shred it first to help with decompostion?

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

If you have any landscapers in the area they will, alot of times, dump off chipped/shredded material for free so they do not have to go to the dump and pay, starbucks has corp policy for grounds for coffee, neighbors have bagged leaves, steer manure is only a $1 per bag (do not use too much has a lot of residuals)....I bought hay bales to make cold frame last year worked well, will use again for next year and then it will become mulch, any barns in your area that you could help "clean"?

Spring City, TN(Zone 7b)

Straw bales for cold frames????? Please tell me more.

Just bought 6 bales at feed store I had enough glass for an area that had 2 bales going the width (2 per side)and 1 bale at each end to make a rectangle, I had tempered glass and threw it on top - done. Worked well. When it started to get too hot, would just slide the glass off a bit, then when I had emptied it I planted my tomatoes in the area because the soil beneath the frame was "warmed" up more.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

ooouuuu, very smart idea. Then you just chip away at the straw for mulch. I love these forums.

I know, picking brains of similiarly motivated people makes me so much more confident - wish I had found all of ya sooner - I would have sooooo many more LIVE plants (and probably even more $ due to watch dog....).

Columbus, OH

Can I make a compost pile over a section of gravel (without removing the gravel) and expect plants to grow in this location?

This message was edited Nov 27, 2006 4:48 PM

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I have started lasagna beds too, whatever I read about in DG I think is a great idea and I want to do it too. Ends up being a lot of work.

Well, we have a bed that is 8 x 24 (railroad ties). It was tilled and old cow barn stuff of their floor was also tilled in, I think maybe two tractor scoops full. So now, I put on cardboard, and then I added peat moss to about one half of it (I wish I had read/remembered what kqcrna said earlier about peat being expensive. It really is, but my DH followed my "order" and brought some home). This wonderful man drove to the municipal dump where they had SHREDDED leaves and they even loaded them on his truck.

Next I am going to put on horse manure, but only after Thanksgiving, because I am going out of town.

My question is: since the bed was already tilled and had cow manure, how much more would you add? Or is a certain amount required to make sure that the cardboard will decompose? Will it be ready by this spring for blueberries?

I have another bed, a little narrower, which is tilled, but did not get cow manure yet. I would like to grow tomatoes and some other veggies on it. Any lasagna advice on that?

Thank you, everybody, for sharing all your experiences with us newbies.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I for one like the ideas you have come up with WayehMalmutes. Expensive soil makes you commited to keeping that soil productive. That keeps you spending more money and America is stronger. Your garden continues to become something you are more and more proud of and your life lasts longer. America stronger + garden better = life longer + purpose for living. I like it! Steve I look out this every day I am home and feel good.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Spring City, TN(Zone 7b)

Soferdig! LOL, now there is an excuse for my gardening bills I hadnt thought of -- patriotism!

Let me tell you that considering what I started with -- compacted red clay and a skim of gravel, I KNEW it would be expensive, and just sucked it up. I have to stop erosion some-how and this is a beautiful-how. Besides which, every penny I spend NOW = gorgeous plants for years to come. I moved here 11 years ago and the few, very few, things I did back then are gorgeous and breathtaking. I just wish I had done more back then. NOW, every dollar and every plant and every hour with a shovel or fork in hand, I think, "If I'd done this 11 years ago I could be sitting in my swing enjoying the rewards instead of sweating my tush off."

I've got another bunch of plants coming and we're racing to see who wins -- this Fall Planting Fool or Old Man Winter!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.