Ground cover in full shade

Bluffton, SC

Our back yard is shady all day long. We are looking for plantings that will provide color and be wildlife friendly. We live in southern South Carolina.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hosta is one. Different wildflowers are another. We have coneflowers, black-eyed susan, bachlor buttons, and a bunch others I cant' think of and they are all under a tree in full shade and are thriving. Been there for several years and are low maintence too.

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

I like Wintergreen as a groundcover. Edible, smells nice when crushed, pretty (but a little small) white flowers, bright red berries after that, and likes full shade.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Wild violets and pansies (both in the viola genus) are great: low-growing, spread freely, choke out weeds, and are beautiful in flower. We don't have to plant them up here in western NC: they're everywhere!

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

How much sun would the native Clematis virginiana have to have? I have mine in a morning sun situation, but I've seen it in the timber in shade. That would be a thought for you also. Just let it grow on the ground, like a ground cover.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.