King Humbert Seed Collecting

Greetings fellow Canna lovers!

I have a quick question about my King Humberts.

Snow is approaching this week(according to the forecast), so I am taking down the tops of my cannas.
I've found several nice black seeds in completely dried pods, but have tons of huge pods left that have turned from red to green.
If I cut those bloom stalks off and store indoors in a paper bag, will they finish ripening indoors? I opened one of the green pods and the seed is fully formed, tan in color, and hard.
The seeds from the dried pods are black, naturally-but the color seems to be the only difference that I can see at this time.

Experts out there (and I know there are many of you) please respond.

Thanks so much,
Deanna (who has grown them for years, but never had a reason to save the seeds before joining DG!)

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Yup Do what you said that will work good Paul

Thanks, Paul!

That's what I thought, but needed confirmation from someone with your knowledge.

Deanna

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks Paul !!.Good thing I caught this thread.I didn't know you could do that. : ) Nancy

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

The seeds will turn from tan to black after a while. I put some that were almost ready on top of my dresser to finish ripening because it looked like they would split open too soon and loose the seeds and after about a week or so they all turned from tan to black. Experience is the best teacher but I still like having this forum to check in with.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.