Alstroemeria - Peruvian Lily questions

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi all, I have a basket of these that originated as a mother's day present in a mixed arrangement.
After they finished flowering, I moved the bulblets to a larger planter and they took off. The foliage is bright green and lush.
My question is what do I do now for the winter? Leave the basket outside? If so, will the foliage die off like true bulbs? Or if I put them in a sunny window or under gro-lites indoors, will they start blooming without another die-back? I also have a portable greenhouse that I use to keep other semi-sensitive plants alive in the winter. That's another option..

Oh, we're in Paulding County - nw of Marietta.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I would plant them in the ground. I grew some from seed and bought one pot and planted all of them in the ground. They are winter hardy here and self seed. You could leave it in the pot, but it may be more risky.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi neighbor - thanks for the response. Are these like regular spring bulbs and need a period of cold?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have had mine in the ground for years - they will spread if they like your spot - not too much sun though. They will burn. I have the yellow (sweet laura) and regularly have to thin them. The pink and the parrot varieties don't seem to be as aggressive. I got a few of the roots of a beautiful variegated variety (recently) but have not seen it bloom yet.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

here is a pix

Thumbnail by sterhill
Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Sterhill, are yours full of foliage now (in October) as shown in that picture? Mine are! If so, does the frost get them or do they need to be cut down or do they just stay evergreen? I have had some experience with true lillies, but these are different, aren't they?

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

sterhill,

I love that variegated one!!
Brenda

I agree with too much sun. I have Sweet Laura in full sun. She blooms once and burns.
I had another bunch traded from a lovely gal in Dacula, but someone came and STOLE my pink alstromeria clump right out of the ground!!
This is a plant I can't wait to add to our backyard garden, whenever we get that a) built, and b) fenced in :)

GGG

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

GeorgiaJo - I just took that picture this morning and this is a realtively small clump. My friend had a bunch of it growing (poorly) in nearly full shade so I asked if I could have a little one. Glad I did as ALL of hers have finally disappeared. They want some good sun just not too much full afternoon sun. She has promised me all her variegated ones if they reappear next spring.

Mine - mostly the Sweet Laura yellow ones - have been in the ground about 4 or 5 years. They are partly evergreen - by that I mean they do not look full and lush in the winter months but have a few bits of scruffy green here and there just so you know they are still there. Then in spring as the ground warms up they will shoot up, big and bushy.

Just a note: when you cut them for the vase, cut all the way down to the bottom of the stem. They will not pinch out - so whatever you don't cut will turn brown.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/113091/ is my Sweet Laura

wooo! stole that pink ones!!!!!????

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Whoa, sterhill, your sweet laura sure looks happy. What conditions do you give her? I have one and she is certainly not that happy.

I have a couple of others and they have not multiplied. I have the red and black one (name doesn't come to mind this am) and it spread. Except in the heat and drought of this year, they sort of melted away I guess.

Brenda

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have my Sweet Laura in several locations. The clumps out front get more sun and oddly enough are shorter than the ones in the back. They want soil that is fairly well worked (no heavy clay) and they do not want full afternoon sun - it tends to wilt them and bleach the leaves. A little afternoon sun is OK. I give them a little 10-10-10 about March or April - whenever they start to show growth, and again about July. I divide them when they get unmanageable.

If they don't do well, move them. You will always have a piece or two remain as the fleshy, white 'carrot' looking pieces will break off and leave some where you dug. But there is no harm in moving them around until you find a spot they like. The root pieces are what is important and you can lose the entire top and they'll still bounce back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.