Salvia Lover Needs a Trade!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

*****UP-DATE*****
I will be placing a saliva order soon anyone want in???

I'm looking for something I don't have,
I'm just nut's over salvia!

What I have now...........
Pineapple sage
Rose Leaf involucrata
Purple Majeaty guaranitica
Mexican Bush Sage leucanthua
Red Salvia unknown will reseed
Darcyi
Hot Lips microphylla
Forsythia Sage
Indigo Spries

What I have to trade at the end of Oct.
Purple Majesty 3' sun & Forsythia sage 5' sun
also Mexican Bush Sage 4' sun & red unknown 3'

Any salvia lover's interested????????

Donna - gapeahen

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 6:14 PM

Thumbnail by gapeahen
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Donna, I am currently growing some cuttings of salvia farinacea "Victoria Blue". You are welcomed to some if they root. I just started them this week.

Deborah

Hey Deb,
I sure would! I'll have a bunch of goodies for ya when it cools off a bit!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't get your hopes up too much. If they root, it will be my first successful cutting attempt. I'm giving it my best shot! IHow long does it take for them to root, I wonder? They're in pots near my carport window.

Might be best in a shaded spot so they don't burn!
I'm rooting in my shade house in the bubbler!
Will see what happen in about 2 wks.

I've been wanting to swap out my blue guarantica for some of the purple magesty. I also grow Anthony Parker and a dwarf type of the mexican sage, "Mulberry Jam" roseleaf, peach greggi, "wild watermelon" and "San Carlos Festival". Right now for trade however I do have the blue guarantica and "black and blue" if you are interested. I'd have to trade by post, I can not get to Douglas!!

girlgroupgirl

Alpharetta, GA(Zone 7b)

Why is Salvia Divinorum so pricy? How do you root salvia? I love them too. Have a argentina sky people been asking about but I have not tried to root it. When is a good time and what method?

Cordele, GA

Salvia divinorum is a psychtropic drug plant, that is in the process of being banned in the USA. It is a naturally occuring hybrid found in the wild only in one small area of Mexico. I am not aware of it having any use as a garden plant, most people seem to smoke it in an attempt to achieve visions or for use in shamanistic healing rituals. Most growers are growing for consumption rather than distribution, although it is still available by mail. It is unlawful to possess it in Tennessee and several other states.

Beth

Turtle, I'm cracking up. I used to have so many people email me for those salvia seeds.

I have rooted salvias in the spring, before bloom (but sometimes even in bloom) by rooting woodier or at least firmer parts of the branch in well drained potting soil, with rooting powder enclosed in a vented plastic baggie over a pot. I did this with greggi's and they were fairly easy to root. Wenny, I'd trade you argentina sky for the some mexican sage in the spring!!

GGG

Alpharetta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Glynis email me when u about to start rooting salvia. I'm do the same! Love to trade you (if I can root it first :-).

If there's anyone else who would you like to trade
salvia plants for salvia plants,,,,,,please
D-mail me!
Donna

Byron, GA

I have some purple volcano plants if you're interested. I left them out all of last winter and they never died back. May have been the mild winter we had. I grow it for the purple foliage. The flowers are not their best feature, however. That purple majesty is beautiful. Let me know if you want to trade.

Digs

Sure Do!!!

Sure Do Digs!!!

Gotta salvia wish list, please d-mail it too me!
I've got something sweet in the works!!
Donna

Byron, GA

gapeahen,

You have mail!
Digs

Who's lookin for salvia?????????
Drought hardy~wildlife benefits~beautiful!
Go any takers????

UP-DATE
I'll be placing a salvia order soon, anyone want in??

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 6:15 PM

Cordele, GA

How soon is soon? I don't get paid until the 31st.

How do salvias respond to being cut back or pinched? Many of these are way too large for my beds with out some manipulation. Also I have found greggii hyb. to be short lived in my beds, growing quite well then, suddenly, all I have is a twisty grey dead stem. Help!

Beth

Cutting back is a good thing,,,,,get repeat blooms!!
Most salvia needs WELL drain loamy sandy soil with some rich humus add. If you have clay add peat moss or humus for drainage. I've lost a few by over wartering them. It's Best keep soil on the drier side, with a good deep watering about once a week.

As for ordering mostly around the frist of NOV. I'm still working on my list, weeding them out, finding the ones that will most cold hardy here in South Ga. Might make 2 separt order's for the fall, and order again in early spring. Will see how the weather go's here also!

I would like to wait until spring to order. If we get wet winter rains, and the roots haven't had time to develop well here, mine would pretty much all kick the bucket. So I'd prefer to wait, myself.

Hey Turtle, how is your drainage? Salvia greggi's do really well in Atlanta but the drainage needs to be really excellent. Some are more tender, however. You can root your salvias for back ups. In the early spring, take cuttings of soft new growth, and grow them on in barely moist, potting medium in a tented but ventilated enviornment for ambient humidity. They root really easily. Some types of salvia don't neven need tenting!

GGG

Cordele, GA

I am well below the fall line and gardening in very sandy loam. Drainage might be a little too excellent. My yard has pines that are limbed up pretty high. I have great morning sun, high dappled shade at the heat of the day , and some late evening sun. The S. greggii hyb did well for about 3 years then began to die back. It put out new growth a couple more years but not as strong as before. Then, It was gone this spring.

Beth

Beth, it may be that they just have a shorter life span with our humidity. My neighbour does have one on his "hell strip" next to the road. He irrigates it, but has really improved our clay soil. Maybe they need moisture regularly but just not sitting in it?

I'm wondering if Donna is still there? I was hoping the salvias I sent were doing OK!

GGG

GGG, I'm still kicking just busy trying hard to get my GH in order! Gosh what a job! Those salvia's are doing GREAT! I'm about ready to make any salvia order next week. I'll be keeping these in containers until spring!

GGG Thanks again,,,,,,,Oh,,,,,Oh,,,,I haven't forget about your salvia's from me. With to Dr. today found out I've got a spur in my left foot.
Which has really slow me down. I promise soon you'll get a box from me! So sorry for the delay!

Ow! How can you crouch and bend to dig when your achilles tendon pulls at that spur! I had the problem two years ago, but thankfully corrected itself.
I'm not ordering a thing until spring! Oh, my no. I should have more garden room then, but not right now...!

GGG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.