CLOSED: Grasshopper or Katydid?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Ok, here we go again....I've looked through tons of 'long horned Orthoptera'. Nothing seems to match exactly. This was taken today, so it's active in early Oct. here in west KY.

Thumbnail by melody
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Probably no help to ya, melody .. but, from what I read about the nymphs (of both) - it's truly hard to tell. Here again, I'm not sure if he's even a nymph .. but something looks to be a bit immature about him.

However .. there's something about those eyes that bellers out 'grasshopper' .. more so, than 'katydid'. No real basis, really .. other than, I've been seeing a lot of katydids lately .. and their lil dark spots IN their eyes, are more 'beady' looking. .. LOL ..

- Magpye

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I thought it looks like a drumming katydid, or a tree cricket, or...? I wonder if photography changes the appearance of the eyes

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Quite possible, claypa ...

Heck, most anything's possible .. with the many variables involved with photography. Then to consider the uploaded image to the web, and so forth ...

And, heaven knows .. I'm certainly no authority on the 'bugs'. Far from it!

I know that they seem to have been most prolific this year tho' ...

- Magpye

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I first thought grasshopper when I was shooting the shot...the eyes look like real-life in the shot.

And...I thought nymph too, but was mistaken about the Red Headed Ash Borer the other day...thought he looked like a nymph...so I'm kinda snakebit on suggesting nymphs.

Several grasshoppers kinda/sorta look like him, but he has a 'neck' and they do not...We've got so many varieties of critters that eat plants and are in this family, I don't know if I'll ever get an i.d.....it was just such an interesting shot, I wanted it for the BugFiles.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.