Has anyone sold irises through Dave's Classified Forum?

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Curious to know if anyone has been sucessful selling their extras through the classified section on Dave's Garden. I'm thinking of trying this next year.

Thanks,

Cathy

Athens, OH

I have a current posting in the Classified Ads.
So far response has been minimal. About 150 have viewed the site.
But I am selling tropicals in the off-season, so this may explain it.
Also overall the plant trading has decreased dramatically. It is probably a seasonal thing.

I would think that come Spring, things will pick up significantly.
For $5, I think you should try it. The DG staff are very helpful if you need to update your post.

A few things I learned.
If you can, direct people to a website where they can see your available inventory and images of the plants. If you don't have a website, the DG staff are willing to revise your plant listings if you run out.
Go to the USPS website and order priority boxes. They're free and they have a much larger selection on line than at the post office.
Talk with you local Dept. of Agriculture. You may need to get a phyto to ship to cetain states. CA, AZ, and FL are the pickiest and it just might not be worth it to meet their shipping standards.
Charge the right amount of shipping. Don't cut yourself sort. People prefer to pay a little more and get healthy plants.

Best of luck, ROX

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

That might be worth looking into. I wasn't aware it existed. Cathy, let us know what you think after you've tried this out.

Rox, your input and suggestions are sure helpful. That is great feedback on the subject.

~~ Margie

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Where is the classified section? How do I get there?

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Click on the Garden Talk tap, then scroll down to Dave's Garden Community. The second one listed under Dave's Garden Community is Classified Ads.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Ditto. Didn't know about it either. Guess we need to talk it up. It's a good feature to have.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I didn't even know there was a classified section:) I'd definitely rather purchase from Dave's people rather than a box store or eBay if I'm not buying from a nursery. Thank you for asking about this!

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

The classifieds section is rather new and a lot of ppl haven't discovered it yet. I know I plan to spend too much $$ there in the spring...lol.

~Julie =0)

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'll be working on my journal entries all through the winter so I'll be ready to sell through Dave's Classifieds in the Spring. Figured I'd steer people to my journal pages to see everything I have, what's available, etc.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's a good idea... As I was potting up leaf babies last night, I realized that I might have bunches of african violet plantlets next spring, maybe more than even I could trade, LOL... and the ones I'm up-potting now should be a nice size by spring, hopefully even blooming. Most are miniatures, so even mature ones shouldn't be too hard to ship. I was wondering where I could put a bunch of photos and descriptions so I could post a link to them, and I didn't even think of the DG garden journal feature (which I haven't used yet).

I have a feeling from the posts here that if I make any money selling violets I'll just turn right around and spend it on irises!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Classifieds is also a tab on the top of your homepage.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I know I would be interested in bulbs and I do watch the classifieds. I see alot of trades and swaps but since I am a newbie I don't even have enought for my own garden right now.
I'll be watching for your sales.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.