Chameleons........

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I would consider this as a friend as it controls insects. It lives on them. There are babies too, but this one is a medium sized specimen, wondering what to do --- near my pond bench. I could manage this shot somehow before it hid away.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Could take one more angle without disturbing it. The next moment it ran off. :) Notice the colour. When it is near some greenery, the body turns greenish.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

Were you asking a question? I didn't quite understand. :-)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Am sorry, I was not clear. It was not a question. But just expressing what it does. It surely is not a garden foe. Maybe I have posted this thread in the wrong place (in my hurry!).

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

This morning, I was able to get very close to one of these on the plumbago plant. It really cooperated for these following shots.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I came closer.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

A little more closer with my camera.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

It was a cloudy morning and so the light was low and hence just that bit of 'shake' in some of the shots.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Another.

Thumbnail by Dinu
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Such a cute chameleon! These are great to have in the garden. This one looks like he is covered in chandan and kum kum. Does he keep that colour on while sitting in the green leaves?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

He must be looking at me now.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

He was maintaining that colour of - as you rightly describe - chandan and kumkum [I wonder how you knew these words!] all the while.

He turned his eye up as the camera came above his head.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Looking straight.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu, is it possible that your garden "chameleon" is actually a Calotes versicolor male showing breeding colours (the yellow and red of chandan & kum kum, which we use for puja over here as well)?

http://ecologyasia.com/verts/lizards/changeable_lizard.htm
http://tariquesani.net/thumbnails.php?album=29

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thank you mermaid. I saw the links and will go by that name henceforth.

You talk about puja.... may I know a bit more about how you know about them?

Dinu

Dinu, we know about pujas because we are practicing them. The Sanatana Dharma migrated out of India thousands of years ago. There are millions belonging to Sakta, Saivite, Vaishnav or Smarta gotras all over the world. Some are of Indian ancestry, many are not, some are of mixed ancestry. Many people here use chandan and kumkum for their atmartha (home) pujas.

I would be interested in seeing your Calotes lizards colouring after he calms down from mating season. Have you noticed different colourways on this lizard during different seasons?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Not during different seasons. Now I have to begin observing! It grows even bigger, almost twice its present size. I have seen them quickly change its colour to some extent, to merge with the background. While digging the soil, I had noticed oval, white, soft things which I now think are the eggs of Calotes.

You have D-mail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.