brother electronic labelling system

Dauphin, PA

Has anyone used this, and what do you think of it? How quickly will the labels fade?

katie

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't - but a friend of mine bought one recently and the labels look wonderful. She said they'll last years. I think you can buy different strength labels and the machine burns the image into the tape.

Personally, I just use a cattle tag marker and thick vinyl (unbendable type) blinds that I score with a razor knife and then snap into sections.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I use the Brother p-touch and like it, it's convenient and you can take it out to the garden and label as necessary. I've only replaced some of the old laser labels with the label maker so can't tell you how long the label lasts. The laser labels last, some longer than others. Hope this helps.

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Katie,
I just got the PT- 1950. I haven't figured out alot of it yet but I did print a couple sample labels and it seems to be pretty easy. They say the TZ labels are weather proof. But another Dave's Gardener replied to me that their's had faded in about 3 months. I will be interested to see others input also.
Deb

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I was that "other gardner". I purchased a Brother P-touch label maker in the spring, redid all my tags, and in 3 months, some had faded to almost invisible. I am using the Eon Makers, and have just last week purchase a really cheap, I think about a $7.00 label maker from Walmart that embosses, so even if it fades, you still have the imprint to identify the plant. Hope my experience helps.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I've been using the brother P touch labeler with TZ labels for 2 years now and so far the labels have held up great !

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I started using mine the beginning of summer, and I love it. I have a PT 1950. There was a discussion on the Daylily forum about this.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/585902/

My labels have not faded a bit so far. At first my husband clear coated them for me, but then we stopped doing that.

We are getting the TZ 3/4 in tapes for around 8.00 at surplus inventories on the internet. I've been using black on clear, and it shows up well in the garden.

It's easy to use. My four year old grandaughter can make the labels if I spell the name out for her. She just loves doing it.

Dauphin, PA

I appreciate all the feedback. I've been making the embossed plastic tapes up to this point but when there's a lot to do, my hand will just ache for days, and I suspect I'm setting myself up for problems if I continue to use it. I have high hopes for the Brother labeller, but I'm going to check the labels frequently and watch for signs of fading.

katie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, do you have small children or grandchildren. That will solve the hand ache!

Consider clear coating them. I can't believe they will fade then. Takes only seconds to do.

Dauphin, PA

As a matter of fact, I bribe my nephews when they visit. No grandchildren yet! Tell me about the clearcoating. What do you use, and does it make eventually removing the labels more difficult?

katie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Katie,

My husband uses Dupli-color, clear. It's a spray on clear enamel. Spray paint. Comes in a can. You would need to remove the labels with lacquer thinner. Or just put another label on top of the old one. 3-4 dollars per can, will do many, many labels. I use Paw Paw Everlast markers.

And don't get the tape for the P-touch at Staples, they are about 30.00 there, ouch.

Polly

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Polly,

Where on the internet do you get the TZ tapes?

Thanks...Judi

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Well...thanks for all of your comments. I purchased a Brother Ptouch (GL100--I think the cheaper one-???) and put the labels on white plastic (the heavy duty ones) and set them next to my rhizomes. I hope they work well. I have pics of all my rhizomes also, all alphabetized in a large notebook (pickey huh?). I guess I need to do a map also, just in case my labels fade. Thanks for the link to the tapes, pollyk, as they are a little pricey at Office Depot. My little ones, ages 7 & 9 helped me make the labels too. One way to involve them, and they also picked out their favorite irises. Can't wait for spring.
sempervi

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Definitely do a map - even a crude one on a sheet of notebook paper. My curious squirrels have a habit of digging up my new labels. Having the map beats waiting until they bloom the next year to make sure I got the labels back in the right spots.

Neil

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Polly, where do you get the labels for cheaper than Staples? That's where I got my last ones and yep, they were about 30.00. They did quite a few labels though. Thanks for the info.

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Labels..........?
Someone else earlier in the thread had given a link. I don't know how to do that but here is a website for TZ labels much cheaper than office max. Hope it helps.

ecomofficesupplies.com

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 3:11 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Weegy,

Heres the link again for the labels. I just ordered and received 10 of them, and they are the exact same ones as at Staples for 30.00.

http://www.amazon.com/s.html/002-9558505-5232060?ie=UTF8&me=A3JKR4ESUYVLJI&field-keywords=brothers%20p-touch

I think they may only carry the 3/4 in. black on clear, which is what I use, but it's a good deal.

Polly

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I've had my brother ptouch label maker for 2 years now, and I couldn't live without it.

I do recommend, getting the clear tape with black ink, That is the one that lasts forever outside. Although I have bought the other, white with red ink, and it doesn't fade quickly either.

It's one of the best things I've bought.

I bought mine on ebay, and it's definitely a bargan to buy one there.

kathy_ann

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Polly....thanks for the address!

The surplus store you are dealing with, is on my way to work! I go by it every day and didn't realize they had a web site. I'll have to stop in and see what they have.

Judi

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's too funny Judi! Maybe they will have some other real bargains.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Just saw this... I got a similar label maker last year, Dymo's Letratag. I like it! On another thread somebody suggested that the yellow or blue plastic label tapes (black lettering) are best for fade resistance, so that's what I'm using (mostly the blue). The color of the tape fades in my full sun garden, but the lettering has stayed quite legible so far (1 year). My fingers are crossed... I've got a lot of labels out there already and hate the idea of redoing them, or worse having them fade completely without my noticing!

Clear coating the labels is an excellent suggestion. I think I'll start doing that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.