Licorice Plant

Naperville, IL

Boy was this plant a prolific grower this year!! It almost took over each of the hanging baskets I put it in for a nice trailing plant over the edges ...It almost choked out the geraniums and other plants!! Does not seem to divide well ...anyone had any luck propogating it from cuttings? I stuck a few slips in rooting hormone and put them in a sandy soil mix ...also put a couple into a glass of water to see if it will root. I would like to keep some going for start-ups for next Spring's containers. I love the soft, blue green shade of the foliage. Sandy

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I hear what you are saying about it being a prolific grower. I planted two plants each in two different planters and it completly took over choking out the other plants I had in there. Now I have two planters full of nothing but gigantic licorice plants. Haven't tried to propogate them, not sure if I would want to. I too love the soft, blue-green coloring.
They are pretty but too aggressive for my taste.
Gay Lynn

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

You guys need some sweltering 100+ days and the licorice plant will melt to oblivion. I loved it and wanted some for spillers. They were pretty ... for a little while. Glad someone enjoyed theirs. : )

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I have taken slips from mine for years. Take about 6 inches- take the leaves off all but the to few and stick them in dirt. I put them into plastic bags until I see growth. Later in the winter, I take slips off the slips!!

(Zone 1)

Hi: I'm new to DG and am finding it a great site for info! Please someone tell me what Licorice Plant is!?? I've never heard of it. Does it grow from a bulb, seed or what. And, does anyone have a photo to show, or do you know the botanical name so I can look it up? From the description, it sounds real pretty. So many stuff is invasive down here in Florida, but I could try it in containers, not in the ground if it were invasive!

Thanks so much if anyone can give info on this plant!

plantladylin

Hi Lin ~ I wondered the same when I first heard and read about this plant. Loving Licorice I tracked it down. Why the box stores sell it when it doesn't do well in our climate is a mystery to me... Anyway, I am not sure where the common name came from. Didn't smell like licorice to me...
If you will click on this link, this is one of the more common. It really is pretty but I haven't managed to succeed with it yet... http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55068/index.html If you click on search plants, in the right hand side of that screen and type in licorice plant under the common name, it will show a variety of these plants. Mostly propagated from seed or cuttings. Check it out, it is a pretty plant. You see it often as a trailing or spiller plant in mixed planters.

Thornton, IL

Thanks for the tips on slips Sarv! I love adding this to my containers, it melts in the heat but is a great addition in part shade. Which I have more and more of. Sometimes when you rub the leaf, you get the smell, I don't know if that's the case with this or not, as I've never tried.

I wondered if the fragrance would have been better if the climate were more agreeable... ~ pod

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Pic of licorice plant (night shot)...I usually stick a few cuttings in water to root, then overwinter inside under fluorescents to plant out the following season.

Thumbnail by jmorth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.