Wilmington, NC

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

I will be moving to Wilmington and have to give up my garden in Washington DC. I would like to take some of my favorites with me and woudl like to find a fellow gardener in the area that can approve or nix my plant choices since some of my plants probably do not want to leave their cooler home. I am terrible with plant names and will probably come up with one or two at a time. My first question is (because they are blooming so lovely right now) can I bring my Anemones?

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I want to welcome you to our State hope you enjoy it here and hope you are an azelia fan.LOL
Someone else will have to answer you on the plants.

Lavina Raleigh,NC

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Having lived in both Virginia and North Carolina. I don't see a move to Wilmington as such a big leap. You should take the plants you love here with you. They should do fine. Finding gardening buddies in Wilmington is a great idea, though. NC is a very friendly state. I'm sure the Wilmington gardeners won't let you down.

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

thanks all for your replies. I'll keep watching and maybe I'll find my new neighbor in Wilmington :>)

Raleigh, NC

Sorry, I'm not in Wilmington, but in Raleigh which is not far. I have woodland (Snowdrop) and Japanese (I think...the tall ones..) anemones in my yard. They love North Carolina. Just watch out for the amount of sun you give them--they will tolerate less here than in DC, due to the summer sun. The woodland varieties are in dappled shade, the others git just a bit of morning sun. I've lived near DC, and suspect almost everything you grow there will be fine in Wilmington, so long as you are careful to consider the greater intensity of the sun and length of hot summer when planting. Just give everything slightly more shade and growing room in NC. Welcome to our state!

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

Yotedog, thanks for your welcome, information and advice. We will be travellling down in about 10 days and I will take some time to look what other gardens look like this time of year.

Bolivia, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi knees,

I live in Bolivia and commute to Wilmington (40 minutes),
and I am also from the DC metro area! Mclean Va is where my parents still live.
I love it here but am new to gardening so unlikely to be of any real help!
Its an adjustment though less so from suburban DC to Wilmington than to Bolivia :-)
Regardless, welcome,albeit tardily.
Lauren2h2o@hotmail.com

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

did you move yet? I think the horticultural agent at the Cooperative Extension Service, listed under the county, I think, even though it is a state department, could be a big help. I surely do miss the gardenias and camillias up here in the mountains but the rhoderdendrons and the moutain holly make up for it.

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

Thanks everybody for the continue responses. I am still looking in here now and then. Maybe I am hoping to meet my future neighbor LOL LOL

Have you bought a house yet? and living in Wilmington yet? My son and DIL moved to Hampstead, just north of Wilmington about 6 months ago. She loves to garden but is not a member of DG.

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

Yes, we bought at River's Edge, a development at Independence Avenue and River Road. I have some front yard (mostly cement with big curved driveway) and the backyard is yet hard to tell as it runs into wetlands. I will have to totally rethink from my "northern" casual English cottage yard style.

It used to amaze me how long it took to develop along the river. I remember going to the oldest house in Wilmington, which was along the river and thought it was the most beautiful place I'd eve seen. It was not a big house, but very charming. Wish I'd bought it.........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.