What great unusual trees and shrubs are you growing?

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

A few weeks ago I got my first Forestfarm printed catalog. At first it seemed rather useless (all the stuff is available on line with pictures) but I have found that it is actually rather interesting. I am amazed by the sheer number of plants that I had never heard of, and I am not just talking about cultivars. Just the list of Acer species is enough to turn my head around. It has taken me quite a while just to get through the C section.

That combined with the recent Raisin Tree (Hovenia dulcis) post got me wondering what other interesting stuff is out there that I have never heard of. What unusual stuff do you have growing that you would recommend to others? I am not interested in tropicals or really finicky plants.

Me? Nothing that I can think of...maybe Pyrus calleryana, 'Bradford'. ;-)

- Brent

Denver, CO

Check out the Larch in FF. They have too many Acers to be reasonable. I want to try anything and everything to see if it will tolerate this plant-forsaken valley. Any Oaks are pretty exotic here to make the point clear.

On that- FF has nice oaks, evergreen and not that are diverse and fun. A variegate one, too.
Lest the entire stock of this tree in the US gets bought up (Forest Farms, again) I won't mention the whacko graft chimera +Laburnocytissus adamii. Now if you can grow a laburnum (the rootstock) then definately plant this bizarre beast.
Davidia.
I like FF's rare species of Common genera like Lonicera, Liriodenron, Liquidambar, quercus, Pinus, Magnolia, Acer...
I am lusting after FF's selection of Hardy Eucalypts and Acacia. How will anyone know if they are possible in virginia if it isn't tried?
FF seems to have a nice genus selection of conifers. Lots of obscure vines, too.
If you want to know something about them, just call the place and ask.

Loyal follower of the FF cult,
Kenton

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I like their collection of barberries. I kind of like tinkering with unusual species of otherwise very common genera. I've been working my way through those. I haven't come across a bad evergreen yet. The deciduous ones vary considerably in their appeal. Some I have gotten are just plain ugly. However, Berberis wilsonae is exceptional! Nothing quite like it anywhere. The sea green foliage is beautiful and finely textured, fading to apricot in the fall. Yellow flowers become orange fruit in the fall. All around, a delight. I'll post a picture of it, but despite trying on numerous occasions, I haven't succeeded yet in taking a shot that does this plant justice.

Styrax americanum is really cool, but FF only offers the typical, southern form. If you can find it, the northern form (sometimes listed as Kankakee form) is superior and likely hardier.

Salix purpurea "Nana" is superb, but probably available locally at a larger size and cheaper too.

I like their wide assortment of hornbeams. Carpinus japonica is probably the most garden worthy. They list Carpinus fargesii as zone 7, but Kneeling is growing it in Chicago. They grow very weakly down here, or at least the few I've seen growing in containers have, but it is reported to be very beautiful.

I'll think of more later.

Scott

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I forgot to attach the photo. Here's Berberis wilsonae.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

That is really pretty Scott, except for the thorns :(

Honestly, I don't think I'll ever plant any form of Berberis again...

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I found this Berberis 'Gold Ring' this summer and I like it.

Thumbnail by growin
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, talk about turning one's head around -- Brent, I assumed you were a guy.

But hey, if a nursery catalog is what it takes to get through a C - section, so be it! Careful, though, I hear that it's addictive...

Scott:

Have you tried Berberis koreana? Only plants I've seen (northeast arboreta) were so stellar and laden with fruit, you'd grow no other.

As far a wild/weird/wacky:

Hemiptelea davidii
Platycarya strobiliacea
Euptelea pleiosperma
Zanthoxylum americanum
Firmiana simplex
Ziziphus jujuba
Xanthoceras sorbifolium
Leitneria floridana
Toona sinensis

Knock yourself out!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Berberis koreana? Voila! Great plant for foliage alone, which is the stage mine is at. No flowering and fruiting yet, but now you've got me anticipating!

Oh, and Growin', that is a great B. thunbergii. Maybe the best. I got a cutting of a friend's plant to root. The little guy is just hanging on. I hope it makes it.

VV, you're just showing off! I haven't even heard of most of your list. I am growing Firmiana, however. Seems like a pretty neat plant. The zoo has it growing all over the place. Supposedly not hardy here, but evidently it is.

Scott

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 8:04 PM

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I have purchased from Forestfarm, and considered them the best. But one of my 'special' trees came from the local Farmer's Coop. It's a Dawn Redwood, Metasequoia glyptostroboides( I love that name! ).
Another is a Xanthoceras sorbifolium that I grew from seed. I had several, gave most away, and only have the one left.

Thornton, IL

Does anyone have a Berberis 'Helmond's Pillar'? I want one. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes barberries.

Thornton, IL

p.s. Marianinark - We cross-posted. Dawn Redwood is another favorite of mine! How big is your tree?

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Prairiegirl, it is only about 8' tall, and not growing as fast as I would wish. Our this summer's drought didn't help none. I watered it some, from our pond system, but maybe not enough. I've had it 3-4 years. Don't remember exactly.

Peoria, IL

I don't have anything to wild: Disanthus cercidifolius, Viburnum prunifolium 'Forest Rouge', Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar' (!), Juniperus communis 'Gold Cone', Acer mandshuricum, Sophora japonica, Metasequoia 'Gold Rush,' V. seiboldii 'Wavecrest.' Xanthoceras grows very easily from seed. In fact, I think there are some coming up underneath a plant at work. Tree is about 10 years old, wide growing so ground is shaded and stays moist. Wonder if it will be a weedy plant? Started growing some seedlings of Autumn Blaze Maple to see what would happen.

Regards,
Ernie

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 6:24 PM

Eau Claire, WI

This is one of those threads that breeds contempt in us northerners. For us, exotic is what you'll probably find growing at your local McDonalds. I'm not claiming the Golden Larch to be unusual, but definitely great in my book.

Thumbnail by Maackia
Thornton, IL

she's a beauty Maackia! Just curious, did you make the circle around the base of it or does that happen naturally?

Eau Claire, WI

Huh? PG, are you being sarcastic or is that a legitimate question? Yes, I'm a bit anal when it comes to stuff like this, but as you can see there are weeds showing.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

The "c-section"...ha, ha, ha...yea I am a guy, at least the last time that I checked I was.

Yea, but you guys in the north get to grow all the cool conifers.

VV...thanks for the list...I will have to hit Google or the FF catalog. For now I am off to cuddle up with the "D-Section".

- Brent

Thornton, IL

what! no, I'm not being sarcastic, my spruce did that itself, and I was wondering if the redwood did the same thing. Sorry if I offended you. Don't worry, membership is almost up, I'm done asking "stupid" questions.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Maackia, That is a beautiful tree! I don't know why, but I have a thing for deciduous conifers. Got to get me one of those.

PG! No! You must renew! No question is a stupid question, and it is fun having you here, even if you occasionally accidentally offend Maackia! But, here, I'll do it on purpose! I'll post this dazzling photo of Cornus florida, and all three of us will continue living, laughing, and learning.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Scott, you're such a show off ! :)
Great photo, and really nice specimen (old)...
Maackia, I must have one of them there Yellow Larches. Where'd you find it?

Eau Claire, WI

It just goes to show how easy it is to be misinterpreted. My wife gives me a hard time for being such a perfectionist when I plant, and I thought you might be thinking the same thing. Rather than being offended, I was merely laughing at myself, which is why I threw in the "weeds" comment. If I my comments hurt your feelings, please accept my apologies. Now, to answer your question, I spend a rediculous amount of time and effort removing sod in roughly a 6' diameter circle, and then put down about a 2"-3" of mulch. What's weird is that for all my anality (If this isn't a word it should be), I think I've used just about every type of mulch known to man...and woman. Whew, that was close.

p.s.p.g. Please don't go.

Thornton, IL

Okay, okay, forget about it. I was really only wondering if the dawn redwood did that by itself. It seems that it would somewhat, since it's deciduous. I have really only seen the one on campus, which is in a mulched bed and one next to a municipal building, also in a mulched bed.

Sorry if I'm in a crabby mood.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Maackia, your Golden Larch is a beauty. I wish I'd get ambitious enough to make a neat bed beneath my Dawn Redwood like that. Maybe it would grow faster?

Prairiegirl, don't let these guys get to you. Boys will be boys, you know. :-)

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Besides deciding I want to grow the Raisin Tree, my other new baby is Ungandia speciosa, Mexican Buckeye. I like the looks of it from internet pics better than all the RedBud trees around here. I had been going crazy trying to hunt down some seeds. Had friends looking all over for me. I as happy as a new pair of sneakers cuz a friend found a tree and has me a few nuts coming. : )

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Maackia, nice Golden Larch! I notice plants in all landscapes whether it a z5 or z9 plant. It's about functional plants that serve a purpose or plants that show promise in an urban setting. I wish I still had my nursery as I was going to specialize in new plants for the rest of the gardeners in z3-9 in Canada.

Aralia

Thumbnail by growin
Eau Claire, WI

Hi Patrick,

I found it at a small nursery down in La Crosse last summer, and I'm pretty sure Monrovia has this tree in full production. The nursery where I bought it had them again this year, and I also noticed that a nursery close to where I live (specializing in the common and usual) had a few in stock this year. They must be fairly inexpensive to produce as I paid $35, which seems to be the going rate for them. Reportedly slow growing, but mine put on about a foot this summer. I'm pretty sure this tree will eventually break my heart, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

Bob

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

I am out of the loop as to what may be considered unusual as I don't have access to box/chain stores but I was just compiling a list of compulsive shopping done this year..hey I am a woman so it's expected that I compulsively buy something and I have a small foot so shoes are no fun. kt

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Ceramic'
A miniature Golden Hinoki Cypress. aka ‘Golden Ceramic’, and ‘Lynn’s Golden’. Tight undulating golden evergreen fronds slowly form a darling miniature sculpture. New!
Chamaecyparis psifera 'Tsukumo'
A miniature bun-shaped evergreen with fine textured fern-like blue-green foliage.
Cryptomeria japonica 'Tansu'
This miniature evergreen reminds one of a sea urchin with its textural spiny green foliage. Slow-growing, it ultimately forms a 15" mound, and therefore is good in troughs.New!
Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gold Fern'
A unique form of Hinoki Cypress displaying golden fern-like juvenile foliage on a mounding compact shrub. We found the foliage color is best in part shade. Growth rate is slow, only 3" or so a year. Ultimately a shrub of 4' x 4'
Ilex crenata 'Jersey Pinnacle'
Valuable for it's upright, dense, yet irregularly branched habit and it's glossy dark green evergreen foliage. 6-8'.
Magnolia grandiflora 'Edith Bogue'
Considered the most cold hardy of the evergreen magnolias, 'Edith Bogue' has survived -24° F albeit with some defoliation. It has a tight pyramidal form, reaching 40' or more with a width of 15' and narrow, lustrous dark green leaves with brown undersides. In June and July, the creamy 9-12" blossoms fill the air with a sweet, lemony fragrance.
Cunninghamia unicanaliculata- Known as Chinese Fir. Leaves are steele blue. Huge triangle leaves to 2 ½ inches long. Can take shade or full sun. This tree is in question by taxonomist. They believe it to be just a variation on the species cunninghamia. Zone 6 height and spread in ten years 12ft 8 ft.
Chamaecyparis lawsoniana ‘Treasure Island’ – A yellow, miniature, globe of Port Orford Cedar. Found as a sport from ‘Treasure’ Very tight little ball with yellow foliage. Found in Southern Holland by Wiel Linssen. Height and spread in ten years 1ft by 1 ft zone 5 part shade.
Chamaecyparis obtuse ‘Golden Sprite’ a miniature bun form of Hinoki Cypress with tiny golden yellow leaves on twisted stems. Height and spread in ten years 4" x 1’
Chamaecyparis obtuse ‘Emelie’ a miniature variety of Jap. Hinoki Cypress. Nice green foliage on a small bun shaped plant. Propogates well and looks great. Plant named in 2005 in loving memorie of Emelie Snyder, wife of Marvin Snyder ex-president of American Conifer Society. Height and spread in 10 years 10inches by 10 inches.
Chamaecyparis obtuse ‘Leperchaun’ A miniature variety of Jap Hinoki. Leaves emerald green and very small. Plant is a squatty conical form. Leaves have a tuft appearance. Plant found and introduced by JW Spingarn of Long Island NY. Height and spread in 10 years 1ft x 14 inches zone 5
Ilex Aq. ‘Hastata’ Male Highly ornamental textured foliage w/purple stems. 8’x3’. Pollen source for female.
Ponicirus ‘Flying Dragon’ Contorted Hardy Citrus, dwarf tree fragrent-white flowers in spring, small orange fruits summer.
Ilex crenata ‘Dwarf Pagoda’ grows very slowly only 1 inch per year. Great for sculptural form in the landscape.
Pieris Jap ‘pygmae compacta’
Sinocalycathus chinensis (Chinese Wax Shrub) rare Chinese shrub great for understory planting, lightly scented flower, pink-white/yellow center.
Styrax Americanus, Kankakee form Z5 Ex Kankakee Co. IL, snow white reflexed pendant flws.
Indigofera heteratha (Himalayan Indogo) 3’5” pinky-purple wisteria like flowers swing from arching stems. Matures 4’x4’ drought tolerant, sun, well drained soil.
Franklinia rare flowers similar to stewardia but later in season.
Buddleia Ellens Blue
Lespadeza thunbergii ‘Gibralta’ -Polly Hill-4’x4’ sweet pea like flowers long blooming. Per.
Magnolia ‘Brackens Brown Beauty’ outstanding.
Hydrangea Shirofugi – Polly Hill Work Shop-
Hydrangea ‘Miyamama yae Murasaki’ –Polly Hill Work Shop
Ilex x ‘Mondo’ Male
Sambucus nigra ‘Gerda’
Spirea japonica Shirobana’ tri colored – pink, pink, and pink.

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

growin, I would love to see a pic of your Gold Ring. I mean a full view of the tree. That lookes positively beautiful.

I am looking for help in finding out the name of a tree growing the edge of my daughters yard. We have never seen it before. the leaf is about 7 in. long and 6 in. wide. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by Smokey_SC
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Smokey, the plant is only 3-4'. Here is another view.

Thumbnail by growin
Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

Hey growin, thanks for the pic. I have to get one. I love it.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Patrick and Bob:

Beaver Creek is field growing Pseudolarix amabilis to 12'; they are wholesaling for around $250. I'd bet you should be able to keep yours going in Eau Claire.

Scott:

It's only because of freaks like you (and others, here and elsewhere) that contribute the plants or inspire the search -- gotta try 'em, kill 'em, or distribute 'em.

Just spent a glorious cool autumn day filling pockets, bags, and cups with little potential Quercii from our parks. Next year should yield a bounty of Q. alba, Q. prinus, Q. michauxii, and Q. marilandica.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

PGz5,
Here is a link to a picture of my B. t. 'Helmond Pillar' from August of 2004. Both plants are much larger now and are very striking. I love this combination. I purchased the B. t. 'HP' at a local garden center in a 4" pot for $6.00 or $7.00. It was one of Stanley and Son's miniature dishgarden plants (or something along those lines, anyway)

I, too, love Metasequoia and I have one in my front yard.

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/treelover3_1093488688_297.jpg

Bob,
Love your Pseudolarix; what extraordinary fall color. My Acer triflorum is almost in full fall color. I will have to go out and take a picture after I start to feel better (bad cold & bronchitis).
Mike

Thornton, IL

Thanks treelover, it's much darker than I thought it would be. It sure has grown a lot in 2 years! I love the high contrast, very attention getting. I need something to define a clump of daylilies, they have a maroon ring, so I was going for a color echo. I saw one this summer, but it was very expensive.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

OK, now you gone and broke my heart. Must have Berberis 'Gold Ring' next spring. Lots of them.

Could you put that picture in the plantfiles for that variety of berberis? The ones already there ( http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/57778/ ) don't do it justice.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Actually the pics are there. I put them there 2 months ago. They just don't look the same as a thumbnail.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

thanks

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's what I've got going....Many are juveniles and still potted. OK, I'm a little obsessed....

Ginkgo biloba ‘Chase Manhattan’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Ross Moore’ (Weeping)
Ginkgo biloba ‘Robbie’s Twist’ (Contorted)
Ginkgo biloba ‘Saratoga’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Canopy’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Bullwinkle’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Tubiformis’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Summer Rainbow’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Sunstream’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Mutant Weeper’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Tit’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Dingaling’
Ginkgo biloba ‘Pendula’
Ginkgo biloba 'Jade Butterfly'
Metasequoia glyptostroboides ‘Jack Frost’
Metasequoia glyptostroboides ‘Miss Grace’
Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Gold Rush'
Taxodium distichum 'Cascade Falls'
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette'
Katsura Cericidiphyllum japonicum 'Tidal Wave'
Carpinus betulus 'Vienna Weeping'
Aesculus glabra 'Klein's Weeping'
Ulmus glabra 'Camperdonii' (Kew Form)
Paulownia tomentosa 'Sapphire Princess'
Liriodendron tulipifera 'Mediopictum'
Morus bombycis 'Unryu' (Contorted)
Acer sacchaum 'Barret Cole' (Apollo)
Acer pseudoplatanus 'Nizetii'
Albizia julibrissin 'Summer Chocolate'
Rhus copallinum
Rhus typhina 'Tiger Eye'
Sophora japonica 'Pendula'
Nyssa sylvatica 'Autumn Cascades'
Cotinus coggygria 'Golden Spirit'
Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'
Celtis sinensis 'Green Cascade'
Cercis canadensis 'Covey' Lavender Twist
Crypomeria japonica 'Spiralis'
Araucaria araucana*
Abies concolor 'Candicans'
Abies koreana 'Silber Reif'
Abies koreana 'Aurea'
Picea glauca '4th Hand'
Picea orientalis 'Aurea Spicata'
Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata'
Picea Picea omorika 'Pendula'
Pinus Nigra 'Variegated'
Pinus thungergiana 'Kujaki'
Pinus strobus 'Louie'
Pinus virgiana 'Wate's Golden'
Pinus wallichiana 'Zebrina'
Pinus parviflora 'Fukai'
Pinus sylvestris 'Inverleith'
Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst'
Pinus strobus 'Aurea'

* Not to be planted permanently.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2006 10:29 PM

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I see you have many ginkos. How do you handle the barfy smell of a fruiting ginko, esp. since you have so many?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

None have fruited yet. Hopefully they're all male.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

heh.

I really loved the Miami U. campus (Ohio) where I grew up and went to undergrad, because it was like living in an arboretum. But OMG, the ginko fruits squished on the sidewalk outside of every building I where I had classes in the fall. It was sooooo gross.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.