questions please

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi. I just accuired some seeds that were identified as Datura seeds. I was told that it has a white bloom. I know nothing of these and would like to try them. Are they easy to grow by seed? Can I grow this in a large pot to climb on my fence?(for around my pool) What conditions do they prefer? The pics I've seen show this as a vine. Any advice would be greatful. Thank you, Dawn

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/657450/

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 6:20 AM

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I know somebody knows something!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Dawn, I grew white daturas sucessfully in pots on my deck in Massachusetts. They did very well, had lots of blooms for most of the summer, but they did not vine. They stayed the size and shape of a small shrub, about 2 ft x 3 ft. I started them from seed indoors in April, I believe.

They take a couple of months to go from seed to flower even here in FL. You might want to plant them in the spring where you are, but I'm no expert on Zone 7b conditions -- or daturas, for that matter! ;>)

Have fun!

Michele

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info. That gives me an idea anyway. From the pics I've seen they can get really big so I think pots would be good. I think I may try to winter sow or strat some indoors.
Dawn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.