Walking Iris...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I just received one of these as a gift. I have never grown them so I am in the dark completely. Is it hardy to zone 7b for anyone? If not, can I pot it and keep it on a covered porch or will I need to winter it in the house. I would just like to hear from some of you that grow this one..I know a lot of times it says not hardy here and it is growing like crazy in the ground for me...so I wanted your opinion on care and planting. Thanks so much for any help!
JanetS

Calhoun, KY

Neomarica - Walking or Hanging Iris - IRIDACEAE
The walking iris, also known as the twelve apostles, grows in grassy clumps. The plant can grow from 1-5 feet high and wide. The leaves are flat swords about one inch wide. The flowers are like miniature iris blooms. They are delicate and appear as if they are walking way from the plant on their long stems.
Generally, the bloom will appear when the plant is pot bound or two years in age. Often in a fast growing situation or a warmer zone, this will happen in one year. In colder zones, this plant needs to come inside for the winter. In warmer zones of nine and higher they can be planted in the ground, or if lucky with a beneficial microclimate the plant may survive in zone 8.
The best growing condition is sun to half shade, especially if it is morning sun. As always, a good drained soil is required - although the plant can tolerate a moist situation.
Propagation is very easy. After each bloom air roots, a small plant will grow. Either set the plant in a 4-inch pot of soil still attached to the mother plant or snip and repot. Both methods work find. Even water rooting may work. Keep moist and wait until the plant is pot bound before moving it up to the next pot size. Walking iris are very versatile plants. They can be used in borders, beds, or container plantings. Alternatively, in hanging baskets or as a houseplant.
Thumbnail Image

I was recently talking about this with someone and they sent me this. I have one that is supposed to bloom purple. I have only had mine about 3 months in a pot. The friend who gave me one has hers in the house year round.

hope this helps.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, thank you so much for sharing your information. I am thinking it must be in the house then and I will need to find a good spot for it as well. I will speak with the friend that shared it today because she talke as if she had it outside...I may have mistunderstood, or maybe she has it in a pot outside and takes it in during winter months..thanks again...I looked at pictures too and it is a sweet bloom!
JanetS

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Janet

That was one of my favorite plants when I lived in zone 10, I have a friend that grew it in 9 outdoors. zone 7 would definitely be outside/ summer, inside/winter.

I'm sure you will enjoy it, that's a beautiful plant!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info! I will let you know how she does..:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.