What is it?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I found one of these the other day on my smallest Key Lime (only 14 inches tall). It had devoured all the leaves on the tiny tree. I removed and euthanized it.

Today I found another one on a different citrus, a small rooted grafted stock. The worm has not had a chance to eat too much of the foliage yet.

This is the best photo I can get today, sorry for the blurr. Can you help on identification of this one?

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Molly, try www.whatsthatbug.com . They have a section on caterpillars/worms. Also, try Ortho's website. They have a secton on them as well. Can't really make out your pic.

Azrobin,

Thanks for that link. I was lucky enough to track my worm at the bottom of the first page. Once there I googled for Orange Dog. http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/insects/cateast/papicres.htm

Too bad I had to get rid of it. All my citrus are young so these things would kill them all. Next year when the trees are older and stronger I will probably let them stay and snack just a little.

I really would like to see that Giant Swallowtail though.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ewww. Nasty looking worm. Butterfly is another story. LOL

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

They don't eat much, just a few leaves each. And they are gorgeous butterflies!! Karen

Karen,

The article says that they will dessicate a young tree. They are absolutely correct. One worm ate every leaf off the smallest tree. I am hoping I caught it before it killed the tree.

This is my first year with the citrus and I hope to make it to the second year and maybe get some fruit next year as well. Gotta protect my babies though.

Molly
:^))))

This is the smallest of the 2 Key Limes I have, started as seedlings by Cyberageous out in the Everglades 1 and a half years ago. The rest of my citrus stock was all started from grafts.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

The frost got one of my Key Limes and now with some other young citrus, the Orange Dogs are back. One tree has a worm on each leaf. These trees are still less that 3 feet tall without any kind of "bushing out" of branches. I will again have to remove them since these trees are still too young to withstand a feeding frenzy.

I'm going to try dish soap mix to get them off. I hate using chemicals here.

Molly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.