I am getting ready to cut some bushes...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

THIS OFFER IS CLOSED TILL ALL OF THE ONES LISTED ARE FILLED..THANKS..JANETS

I have weigela, forsthia, and a climbing rose that are going to have be cut back some...is anyone interestsed in having some cuttings for these? I have not tried to root cutting from these in anyway except to just stick them into the ground, and this time of year I have had about 50% root for me where I planted them. They are all from my mothers plants over twenty five years old and have been just beautiful for me. I also have Autumn something Gardenias that are going to have to be cut back as well. The gardenias are having their second bloom season now. I was not sure if anyone would want these, but thought I would offer them just in case...I just hate throwing things on the trash heap..LOL Just let me know, if no interest, I will just pile them up and let the landscaper take them off...I have a pile of saucer magnolia and red tip dogwood bush already, so he is going to have his work cut out for him anyway...thanks. Here is a picture of the rose...
JanetS

This message was edited Oct 3, 2006 10:56 PM

Thumbnail by JanetS
Cincinnati, OH

I don't know if the rose would root for me, but I wouldn't mind trying. I would LOVE some of the gardenia!! How easy is it to root? I would have a nice houseplant!!

Kelly

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I would be interested in the weigela and forsythia. Dmail me.

Milton, VT(Zone 4a)

I also would be interested in the weigela.

Brian

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hello! I have a very vacant yard, we built here in Febuary. I would be more than gratefull for any clippings of shrubs that you can send. I need to get some good bones in my yard and just started my hand at rooting and am willing to give them a try. (even the gardenia) Please let me know what to send . Thankyou, Andrea

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, how exciting...didn't expect response so quickly. I will get back to each of you later today. I have some things I must do this morning. I hate it when life takes me away from gardening! LOL Anyway, I have plenty of everything for each of you..I have no idea how easy or not easy the gardenia is to root...I will try to send cuttings of semi ripe and ripe if I can so you will have a good chance of something taking...if any of you know what I should or shouldn't do when cutting, then I am open to suggestions...thanks again for you interest!
JanetS

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

Oh Janet,

I would love to have some of your weiglia, rose and the gardenia.

Stacey

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Janet

I would love to try the rose, never tried rooting one but I'm willing to give it a try!

Erin

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

And I would like some of the forsithia.
Viv

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Will keep this open until tomorrow morning and then I will close the thread...all of the ones here are on my list....I am planning on getting the trimming done by the weekend, depending on the heat, and my plan is to mail them out on Monday of next week. Does anyone have an idea as to how long the cuttings from these plants need to be? If not I will do some research later and try to send cuttings that are recommended for rooting from each...I also have a great book I can look things up in, so I will go to that as well. Thanks again for the interest.
JanetS

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

With the forsithia, I've always just cut a chunck 1' to 2' and stuck it in the ground.
Not much help.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Me too! I usually have great results though..that is the way my Granny did it with all of them, and she taught me the same thing. I know with hydrangea you are supposed to take a shorter cut like maybe six inches or so to work with and I had good results with that as well. The strangest thing I have seen are hard wood cuttings from conderate rose bushes, stuck in one of those BIG piclke jars with water and put into a shed and in spring...roots! It was amazing to me...just looked like sticks with roots, and now I have two of those sticks I planted, one it over ten feet tall and both are blooming their hearts out! Isn't nature amazing!

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I would love to have some weigla,forsthia, gardenias and roses cuttings. Thanks Pauletta

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Janet

I'm not even sure if forsithia blooms in T'ville....if you think it's worth a try, I'll try it

BTW, I've never heard of a Gardenia with Autumn in the name, could it be "August Beauty?"

That's a fantastic plant!

Erin (plantnutga)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.behnkes.com/print_article.php?group_page_id=24
Hyperlink to gardenias...yes it is August Beauty !...they are awesome!
http://www.brickfieldspark.org/data/forsythia.htm - Forsythia is hardy to zone 5...so you should be fine!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

thanks, Janet

I thought it might be August Beauty! That's what I have in my yard and it is a trooper! Great scent.

With the Forsythia I was more worried about the heat, we are in a pretty nasty zone for that. I've been lusting after Forsythia, though, this would give me a chance to try it....

Erin

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.freeplants.com/homemade-plant-propagation.htm, more info on winter propagation...I would think the Forsythia would do well in the deep south, mine actually came from Thomaston, Georgia..I will check more on that for you though...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I saw somewhere that it does well into zone 9B but not in tropical Georgia or more tropical zones...it orginated in China..so it is pretty hardy I would think!! LOL
JanetS

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Erin what is your plant zone? see how other posters have the zone under their town? I think you add this in the preferences dialogue box.

Memphis, TN

Would love some August Beauty. Can you d-mail pehanlon if any is still available? I can send postage for shipment, etc.

Sincerely and God Bless,
Pete

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, I think I can do this like this: Everyone that is intersted and I will make a list when I close it tomorrow morning....I am going to get large padded envelopes, wrap the cuttings, and send them regular mail....when you receive your envelope, you can then return postage plus the cost of the envelope to me...HONOR SYSTEM...does that sound okay with everyone? I will mail them out on Monday, or possibly before, if I can get out and get them cut....but I will let you know when they are going out....does this sound alright with everyone? If you think there is a better way, I am all ears..LOL Here is a picture of the Weigela...

From what I have seen on the internet concerning propagation of the things offered, they are all reasonably easy to grow...so hopefully we will have great success!

JanetS

Thumbnail by JanetS

Janet, I'm up for anything that is the easiest for you. You are very generous to do all of this. Thankyou . Andrea

Shelton, WA

I would be interested in the wiegelia and the forsythia cuttings.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I think I am going to stop at twelve so I have room for two more...froggie42 is number ten I think..if I am counting right..LOL it is late...either way I will accept two more if anyone wants to be included. Then I will close this and get these out and see if I have more...thanks again!
JanetS

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Janet,
I would love some August Beauty gardenia, wiegelia and the forsythia cuttings.

Carol

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi,
If I made the cut, I would like to try the rose and the gardenia. Thanks:) Donna

Janet, I'd love some gardenia, climbing rose, and wiegelia cuttings, if you have enough.
Thank you!

Darn! Missed it by one minute! Well, Janet, when you're all done with everyone else, I'd still love to have some cuttings if you have any left! :o) A day late and a dollar short.... LOL

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Nope, I will cut it off now...everyone listed now is on my list and I will post again as soon as I get started! Have a wonderful night everyone..
JanetS

Thank you for letting me slide in at the last moment! I'm so happy! :o)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

No problem! I have dmailed each of you and if you don't mind, it would really help me out if you would send me your addy back into my dmail..it will just save me the time of looking all of you up in the exchange, and if someone isn't listed then I will have to ask anyway. So if you would I will be very appreciative! Have a great night!
JanetS

San Antonio, TX

If u start up your list of people who want your cuttings please add me at the top. I'd be interested in weigela,climbing rose, and the gardenia for postage. :)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I am sending these out today...please let me know what shape they are in when you receive them...I didn't want to send all of them until I was sure they would arrive in okay condition...so I am sending to different areas first, and as soon as I hear something I will send out the rest...if this works!!
Yardqueen - Gardenia, Wiegela, Forsythia - Texas
Greenjay - Wiegela, Forsythia - Colorado
Kayaker - Weigela - Vermont
Pehanlon - Gardenia - Tennessee

This is really a test sample to see if they will make the trip in good condition...if not I will pack a different way to send and resend these as well...so I hope you all understand my madness! LOL
Going to the PO now will let you know the best way to mail since I am going to ask my postwoman her opinion as well...if priority is quickest etc...thanks!
JanetS

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

OKAY, I am really not with the program...it is a PO holiday...so they will go out first thing in the morning...may add a few since I have them cut...oh boy, this makes me a little nervous..hang in there everyone, I really am trying to make this work..LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thank you! I know how you feel. I was really nervous when I sent out plants earlier this year. I'd never packed any before and didn't want anyone mad at me:) Everything went pretty smooth though so I'm sure your packages will arrive in good condition.
Take care!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the encouragement..I just hate to do all of this and not have good plants arrive to everyone..so I am keeping my fingers crossed..LOL...I also decided to try to do some rootings, Just in case..LOL that way maybe I can sent rooted plants if this doesn't work out...

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi, I hadn't realized that my Hardiness Zone wasn't showing! I am in 8b, just a hair north of Tallahassee, Florida....our heat zone is pretty darn high, 9 if I remember right, I need to look that up!

Janet, if you have the extra cuttings after this round I would love the ones we discussed via email but if not that's no big deal, either.

Erin (plantnutga)

Hi Janet, I'm sure they will be fine but I know your nervousness. I've never traded before, only participated in co-ops. The possibility of "screwing it up" has made me pass on some things this year. It's like going up on stage to recite a speach. I guess when you get a couple of them under your belt, you feel more comfortable! When you do send mine out, I'll send you the postage with the seeds. Unless, you know about how much it will be and I'll send it now so that you're not out of pocket. Thanks, Andrea

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Plantnutga, I will be sending you cuttings soon...I am just sending several at a time to see if they do well.

Mygypsyrose..please just wait on the postage till you get your package..that will work fine for me...and thanks again for the seeds! I look forward to having them.
Janet

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, the four I listed earlier did go out this morning...so please let me know when you receive them and what condition they are in...you are my test subjects..LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.