Grub Worms

Wilmington, NC

Does anyone know the best and safest product to use to kill these worms before our grass is completely destroyed. We have a small dog so we do not want to use anything harmful. We really prefer something organic or natural. I live in Wilmington.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I have used a home made spray for various insect issues.

Dish soap liquid - 1/4 cup per gallon
Tobacco (made a tea bag out of some old cigars)
Mouthwash (the green kind) - 1 oz. per gallon
Water - 1 gallon

Let this sit a while for the tobacco to soak into the liquid. Put into an old Windex bottle and spray.

Some recipes for this also call for ammonia, and say to bring the water to a boil before adding the stuff. I didn't do this - but might try it next time.

Entlie

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Entlie, I have a recipe similar to your

gallon listerine
gallon water
2 quarts Coors Beer

Never tried it tho got it from one of the garden shows.

Lavina

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

beachgal, WELCOME to DG! Glad you found the best garden website on the 'Net!

You definitely want to use a product called "Grub Away". It consists of beneficial nematodes that will wipe out the grubs pretty quick. And right now is a great time to apply it. (It's temperature activated so is usually applied in the Spring or Fall.) And don't worry, it has no effect on pets, humans, birds/wildlife, etc so would be perfect for your needs.

There are several size packages and each size only does just so many square feet of lawn but it is recommended you only use it where there is damage (brown, dead grass). A small pkg only covers 300 sq ft, which is not a very big lawn, but just remember you're not going to do the whole lawn, just your damaged spots. (Otherwise it would be highly expensive!!)

You can Google for it or if you like just go to GardensAlive.com I'm sure they carry it.

Again, a hearty Welcome to DG.

Shoe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.