Has this been asked before?

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

OK, I always have containers in my garden...I put plants in an area to see if it will grow well there..I also put planters on my deck ledges..now the question...what do you do about the dang squirrels...I have them digging in the pots and planters all ther time..my deck planters are tore up everyday and in the containers Im finding seeds planted in my pots......what do I do?...Judy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I had some plastic mesh deer fencing which I wrapped over the top of my bulb containers and that seemed to work pretty well, the bulb foliage just grew up through the mesh. You could probably do it on containers that already have a plant in it too, you'll just have to wrap the mesh around the plant so it covers up most of the top surface of the container. They also didn't dig as much in containers if I put cocoa mulch on the top. I don't know if regular mulch would do the same thing--the cocoa hulls supposedly have sharper edges which will deter critters somewhat from walking on it so I'm guessing they'd just dig through normal bark mulch. Don't use the cocoa mulch if you have dogs though, it's poisonous to them.

Bandon, OR(Zone 9a)

I have had very good luck using lava rock as a mulch to prevent digging in my pots. A layer of them seems to stop all diggers, even cats.
As a bonus, it doesn't break down or change your soil pH if you are growing plants that are fussy, and looks nice forever. Also deters snails and slugs if you be sure to block access thru the bottom of the pot as well (fiberglass screen over drain holes).

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Great, tips..thanks alot..I will be doing this to my pots next year and the squirrels can fidn another haven to plant their seeds...Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.