Some IDs Please

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

With all the summer rain and heat I have ferns growing everywhere. im not even sure if some are ferns or weeds. Please help ID.

This first one is everywhere , Im going to have to pull a lot of it up. If anyone thinks it's worth having let me know i can send some.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

This guy is popping up here and there in the shade, very sweet little plant.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

This is the strangest one. Im not sure what it is at all.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Celt, the second one looks more like a cycad. Dioon maybe. The third reminds me of Rhipsalis.

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Here's a better picture of the third. I was in Vancouver this spring on my way to Whistler, what an amazing city. West coast mentality with a European flavor.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, we have the ocean at our doorstep and the mountains in our backyard. We have palm trees lining some of our streets (which I harvest the seeds of) and we're gearing up for the winter Olympics for 2010. I've been trying to leave all my life for a warmer climate.

I think I got the third one wrong. Try # two in Palms & Cycads.

Las Cruces, NM

1st-- some kind of Pteris. Pteris vittata is supposed to be plentiful down there, but there are a few very similar species.
2nd-- yeah, looks like a cycad; if so, some gentle digging around the base of the plant should reveal a seed--a good sign that it isn't a fern.
3rd-- Psilotum nudum. Nifty weird plant long thought to be unrelated to ferns, more recently found to be one of the closest relatives of the adder's-tongue and rattlesnake ferns (Ophioglossum and Botrychium, respectively). Can be somewhat weedy in greenhouses and more tropical areas, only occurs in the US along the southern edge of the country, especially in the southeast.

Patrick Alexander

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Pat you were spot on with the fern IDs.

1st, aka Brake fern
3rd, aka Whisk Fern a fern ally (a term I now understand)

I know nothing about Cycads so I'll try that forum.

Thanks for the help

Neil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.