Suggestion for shrub/small tree that likes it clammy?

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Hey all...

I'm looking for a shrub/small tree/??? (6-10') for the SW corner of my Craftsman style house. The soil is clay and it usually stays damp because it's the low corner--in the spring or after a few days of rain it is soggy mud. The general landscaping style of my property tends toward informal country eclectic...emphasis on the "eclectic", I think. :) As a result, I'd prefer a plant that doesn't require lots of formal pruning. Deciduous or evergreen is fine, although I'd like to avoid green meatballs. Any color foliage/flowers would be OK, I can always add perennials nearby to match its color scheme. More than one season interest would also be great, but I realize options are kind of limited at this site. House color is pale tan with cream trim and a sky blue chimney.

Thanks lots!!
pam

This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!