Help! Have I killed it? (Hydrangea "Alice")

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I am new, to this forum, to hydrangeas, and to gardening in the NE (previously from Central Coast CA.) Thus I am completely flummoxed by what has happened to my two new "Alice" hydrangeas: they are drooping and looking pretty sad, as you can see in the photo.

Forgive my dumb questions to a forum full of people who know a LOT about hydrangeas.

The back story:
Sept. 28: two bareroot 2-ft. plants received from gardensoyvey.com Looking droopy, but I was told this was typical of Alices when shipped. Soaked the roots for two hours and then planted them both in potting soil in containers until they were acclimatized and I could decide where to plant them in my garden. Kept them outside in a protected spot under my potting bench because rain was predicted.
Sept. 29: both plants have perked up and aren't drooping anymore. I feel happy.
Sept 29--30 overnight: Temps fall to 45 degrees.
Sept. 30: both plants are REALLY droopy. I feel sad.
Oct. 1 (today): See photo: One plant still very droopy; one perking up slightly. I feel confused.

My questions: Why the wilt? It this a disease? Is it because they are newly repotted? Did I kill or maim them because I didn't take them inside that cold night? If they are going to recover, should I be doing anything to help?

The reason I wasn't more prepared for my new babies is because the plants were sent to me by mistake--I'd really ordered Solomon's Seal, but the nursery people said just to keep the plants! So I didn't really pay for them, but I don't want them to die!

Thanks again.
--Emily, zone 7a

Thumbnail by CapeCodGardener
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They're just wilted, probably a result of transplanting stress--bareroot shipping is probably even more stressful than shipping in pots, and I've had stuff that was shipped to me in pots look like this for a while after I first get them. If the soil feels a bit dry, I would water them again, but you do need to be careful, sometimes new plants' roots just can't take up enough water to keep the plant from wilting even when there's plenty of moisture in the soil, and if you water them more in this situation you can make the roots rot. So definitely check the moisture level before you do anything. If the soil still feels moist, the next thing is to make sure you have them in a cool shady place, I know you said they were under your potting bench, but I'm not sure how much sun they might still be getting. If they're already cool and shady and the soil's still wet, I would leave it alone for a day or two and see if it perks up and if it doesn't, you might cut it back a little bit so the roots don't have so many leaves to support. I've had a number of mail order plants look like this when I first get them, it takes them a little while to adapt to their new surroundings (especially if the nursery you got them from is in a very different climate than yours). Some take longer than others, but as long as you keep them out of the heat/sun and are really careful on the water (not too much, but don't let them dry out), they should perk up eventually.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, ecrane, for the detailed and helpful reply. I will be very careful about moisture. What made me so nervous was that both had perked up after my repotting and watering, and then both had reverted to sporting "Snoopy ears" after that cold night two nights ago. I still have no idea why this might have happened. I am keeping them under my potting bench, and I will watch the water. Another reason to keep them covered is so I don't get TOO much water, because the Cape is having a rainstorm today.
I appreciate the suggestion about cutting the more leafy one back a bit if it doesn't perk up.
Amazing how protective I am feeling about two plants I didn't even know I was going to have! I think it's because of reading the Hydrangea forum on DG, and seeing how much people love them.
Thanks again,
Emily

This message was edited Oct 1, 2006 4:46 PM

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

CapeCodGardener, Since you say you are new to Hydrangeas, I thought you might be interested in the history of your Oakleaf Hydrangea, 'Alice'. I grow this variety in my garden, and I am a fan of Michael Dirr. Dirr named this variety 'Alice' after Alice Richards, a horticulture student and research technician at the University of Georgia where the plant was discovered. It is now one of the most popular Oakleafs in America. The plant can grow as large as 12' by 12', but be not fearful, the typical size is 4 to 8 feet. They are great in the shade, but 'Alice' can tolerate a bit more sun. Although Oakleafs tend to hold their leaves better than macrophyllas, they are still deciduous, and you should expect the plant to drop its leaves during dormancy and basically look like a batch of sticks with flaky bark. When they mature, their blooms will knock your socks off. I wish you well with them. You have been blessed with good fortune.:)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Get them planted ASAP. If you can, water them in with a weak solution of Miracle Grow. Mulch them really well. They will continue to droop until the roots can support the top growth, so you may expect wilting the rest of this year. Keep them well watered right up until ground freeze (not frost). They are quite an adaptable plant and will do lovely for you. Alice is a beautiful cultivar.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much, peony01 and pollyk, for more useful info on my new babies, which as I noted earlier, arrived on my doorstep unexpectedly! I am so happy to have the history of "Alice" AND the good cultural information. As it happens, I did plant both out today--their "droopy ears" had perked up and I wanted to get them in the ground ASAP for fall planting. I am a little worried that they are in a rather shady location--but am reassured since peony01 says they are great in the shade.

Their leaves are drooping again this afternoon, but I am glad to know that this should improve eventually and I don't need to panic. I guess I don't need to do any pruning of the leaves--the plant is OK even with the prolonged apparent wilt? Thanks so much, pollyk, for the advice on mulching and watering/fertilizing. I'm glad to know about keeping them watered up until ground-freeze.

I am so grateful for your help. I look forward to learning more from this forum.
--Emily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.