Sulphurs.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Sulphur on a Pride of Barbados.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Sulphur on a Black Eyed Susan Vine flower.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Sulcat eating Cassia flowers.

Thumbnail by trois

Great shots as usual trois. I particularly like the colours in the first one.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you echoes! I also like that one.

trois

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

We have them here, too!

Thumbnail by boojum
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We are starting to get a large migration now. We have many more than a week ago. Monarchs are egg laying on the milkweed.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Great photos! Love the colors on the 1st one! My sulphurs LIVE on the Mexican Sage (salvia). I haven't been out there much so far, but they are usually hanging off the thing like Christmas tree ornaments.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks. I hope they will slow down a bit soon.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Wonderful shots very cool Trois!!!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks Mags, but they were numerous today, and still fast.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Gasp!! Melt!!
That's just got to be why we call them BUTTERflies.
Been growing cassias almost every year for 10 years Trois, and no Sulpher cats... This week I'm going to have to chop them down and try to overwinter the ones in front, and I'm starting more for the back in January.

Next Spring would ya please shoo some this away?? Pleeezies?
:oDeb

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

They are favoring Black Eyed Susan vines and cosmos here lately.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Trois~
Are the seeds from your Cassia ripe yet? I have a different Cassia, maybe that's why I am not getting these cats on them. If you can spare a few seeds I would love some. I will send you SASBE if you tell me where.

Deb

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

All the pods are still green. I will send you some when they ripen.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I love sulphurs too...and sooo many of them visited my flowers this year. Can you see this one? lol...

Melanie

Thumbnail by TxTurqoize
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

And another shot in the back garden... :)

Thumbnail by TxTurqoize
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Good Pics. It looks like you have a different type of Sulphur. We had a large number today, all moving at maximum speed.
The Second one is a bit easier to see.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

lol trois, I can't remember if I have shown this photo to you...but couldn't resist... :)
I would have thought that sulphurs taste terrible...but then again, I'm not real familiar with what the cats eat....as I do, say with, monarchs.

Melanie

Thumbnail by TxTurqoize
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Speaking of monarchs...this lovely critter recently stayed for a short visit as well... :)

Thumbnail by TxTurqoize
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We have a good number of monarchs.
The Anolies will eat just about anything, but I have never seen one eat a monarch.

Good pics!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

NIce Tx! Lovely additions to this Sulpher thread... Yellow on yellow! Yes, and really good pics! What is the purple bush up there with the Sulpher on it Tx? I have only had a few myself , (so far). Just wait til next year! I will plant the 'right' Cassia for them in the host beds out back.. :o) Besides adding several new plants to the host beds this year , I also ordered a pound of White Clover seed to plant and share/trade. Anyone who trades with me will get some of that.

Deb

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

They also like the Blackeyed Susan Vine.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Deb, I believe that the Sulphur is on my Indigo Spires......lol, I get that one and my Mealy Cup Sage mixed up sometimes, as they grow next to each other. But I'm pretty positive that it is the Indigo Spires. :) I had TONS of sulphurs and gulf coast fritterlarys this year....along with the common snout-nose and black swallowtails. Just a wonderful year for flying flowers... :)

Melanie

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I think I took several great pictures this morning. I will likely change my mind when I get them processed in the computer.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I hear you thinking Trois, is that the same as eavesdropping?

This, not so clear..but it is one quick visit I was able to snap..The (i think clouded) Sulpher is resting on a Sedum. The black/purple plant in the foreground is one of my all time favs second only to my solid green one of the same ... Oxalis Triangulus.

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

wow...gorgeous photo, Deb.. thanks for sharing... :)

Melanie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.