Agastache 'Heather Queen'

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Just got a seedling of Heather Queen but online sources vary in terms of zones of survival. Some sites say zones 5 and up, others start with 7. Does anyone have experience with this one. Another Mexican Hyssop survived in my raised-bed herb garden last winter, but so did other zone 10 perennials because of the mild winter and sheltering. Also, has anyone any advice on propogating it. Can I take cuttings and get them ready for the spring? How best to take cuttings of this plant?

Thanks

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Candy,
I only have this one
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/134/index.html
which as a mint is a spreader and is easy to cut off new divisions. Is yours similar?

Al

I have that one. Think it's anise hyssop. It definately survives here, too well! But it's very popular with the beneficial bees and wasps and I love the smell of it so it stays. The one I just received gets peachy-red colored flowers on it.

Hampton, NH(Zone 5b)

Candy,
I'm not familiar with that particular Agastache, but in general, anise hyssops are very easy to grow from seed and most of them self-seed quite freely. My advice would be to collect some seed from the flowers for insurance and mulch the plant well this winter after the ground freezes.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

ditto to skylark82's advice. i let my hyssop go to seed and 2 years later i'm finding them all over my yard. i think the birds liked them too. :-)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I planted anise hyssop last year and I'm shocked by how many babies are in the general area this year. And I'm pretty regular at deadheading. Do they spred by root too? It looks like trouble.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
It looks like trouble.

Dave - it does spread by roots too I believe, mine has stabilised we'll say. Have to watch out for those square stemmed plants I tell 'ya.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Yeah. I foolishly didn't know it was in the mint family when I got it. Oh well. Something else to keep me from getting bored.

I planted my anise hyssop in a special herb garden area that I set aside for just these plants. There are babies that I will leave and now that the main plant is two years old and grew to 5' this year, I'll remove it and let some babies grow in the spring. The flowers are one of the main attractors of beneficials in my garden, along with fennel. They're close to the tomatoes and every hornworm I've ever seen was covered with wasp eggs.

I think Heather Queen will be a totally different plant that I need to learn about.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.