Too Late to Move 'Happy Returns' Daylily?

Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

Is it too late to move some 'Happy Returns" Daylilies? I bought them in July so they haven't been in the ground all that long, all are looking good...just now rethinking their location. The soil was amended well so they should be pretty easy to dig up. We've had one night of frost - all the annuals are still hanging in there and it's predicted to warm up for a bit....

Wellington, OH

I don't know and want to do the same thing - I was ready to ask too. Hope you get a "It's a great time". K

Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

Well Kayellen....it was such a beautiful day today that I went for it... (I hope I get a "It's a great time", too!) I also moved a hosta that was getting too much sun. I've moved those around this time of year before without any problem, so I hoping it will be the same for the daylillies. Wish me luck!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I hate to see questions go unanswered but I don't know your zone. I would do it here in zone 6. (I just moved & planted yesterday)
Dave

Wellington, OH

Serenity - I've also decided to go ahead and move them tomorrow. I just think they'll do better moved now than in the spring.

Thanks, Dave. We're both zone 5.

Kay

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i think daylilies are one of the strongest plants out there. i just found a daylily that i had separated and put on the ground in my garden, to plant. i forgot it there. well it has been over a month and it has put some roots into the mulch and there is a small bit of green coming out of the 2 bases. amazing!!!! i know if i plant it, it will grow on. so my opinion is obviously go for it.

Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for sharing that debi_z! I feel much better now!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Deb, That remind me of hosta. I once pulled up a bunch and dropped it around a maple tree awaiting planting. It was on roots and hard sod. I never got around to planting them but they just grew.
Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.