Carolina Jassmine ?(spelling)

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Does anyone know if I could move this vine to another location this time of year? Would I need to cut it back? I want to move it from the side of my shed to the trellis on my backporch that gets morning sun. Will try to post a picture of the vine tomorrow. This is the back porch that I wish to move it .

Thumbnail by Melba_Ga
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'd wait till it was a little colder. I'd also cut it back before you move it.

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the reply. This was a gift from a friend of mine before I left Fl. Planted it here in 2005. It bloomed all winter! Beautiful, scented, yellow flowers.Hope I don't kill it by cutting it back, but it is so big, I would have a hard time moving it if I don't cut it back. Thanks so much, Melba

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

It would be interesting for the fence we have dividing the property around our little museum from the back parking lot of the post office. But I am hoping for something that is evergreen and doesn't grow way out to the side. I don't care if it gets high or travels sideways along the fence but just not bush way out on either side of the fence.
Does this sound like my ticket? How long does it bloom?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The vine is very vigorous at this time of year. This would be an ideal time to cut it back and move it since it has mostly finished blooming. I've moved and chopped mine up a number of times. Just keep it well watered, but not soggy, after the move. Mine blooms off and on several times during the summer. I love it

Woodspirit, it is evergreen. We grow ours on three strands of braided stainless aviation cable. The cable fans out to go up one and one half stories and about twelve feet wide. The Carolina jessamine (correct spelling) covers the cables as a solid wall without attaching to the siding. I'd share a photo but am not in Atlanta.

I am hoping it does not grow to wide, that is, too far out on either side of the fence. If it bushes way out from its supports, it will cover up the flower bed.
I have seen this spelled many ways, but yours is right.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine grows pretty flat against the wall with a few tendrils that stray. It's pretty unruly at the top. After the flowers drop they can last for days indoors. It tends to be thin at the base, becoming wider and deeper as it grows. I have hostas growing under and around mine. I don't know how the roots spread or whether they would interfere with a flower bed. If that's the case then maybe clematis would be a better choice.

I'm going to give it a shot. thanks so much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.