Green onions' advice, please

Rutherfordton, NC(Zone 7a)

What's the rule for getting rid of green onions? When do I dig them? Or is there something else I can do? My yard is huge. I have lived here about one year, and now I'm seeing the boogers pop up. My mother knew what to do, but I wasn't listening and now she isn't alive to tell me. Anyone know the rules?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol

The Plan

Grab some flyswatters and staple some sandpaper on both sides. Then send your kids or the neighbors kids out with the flyswatters and tell them to beat b-jeebers out of the onions. After they have finished go out and spray them all with your favorite herbicide that doesn't kill grass. Since my yard isn't huge I used to paint on roundup.

The Explanation

The reason it's so hard to get rid of onions is because the leaves have a waxy coating on them that causes the herbicide to run off when you spray them. What the sandpaper does is breakup this waxy coating so that when you spray, it actually gets to the plant.

The Testimonial

It worked for me.

X

Rutherfordton, NC(Zone 7a)

A flyswatter, huh? Okay. I may wear slam out before I finish. No kids. No neighbors. Over 1 acre yard. But I'll start. Thanks so much.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah .. flyswatter .. that way you don't have to bend over and its flexable.

X

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

We had quite a few, too, when we purchased our house two years ago. I simply pulled them when the ground was moist. Only a few have popped up again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.