suggestions for longblooming golden perennials

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

Would love to hear suggestions for above, I have a couple of empty spots.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

For a shorter - somewhat spreading plant Golden Goblin gaillardia is one.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Double Trouble helenium is 3' or so.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No - I don't have stock in this plant - Henry Eilers rudbeckia - it just seems like I do.

Sunrise and Harvest Moon echinacea, and Goldsturm rudbeckia would work also. Some of these plants prefer dry and some tolerate some wetness so that is a factor.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

I have a gaillardia golden goblin and it was supposed to be 12in tall and is about 30in and flops all over. Did I do something wrong?

Does the Henry Eilers rudbeckia have tubular petals? I was squinting at the picture and it looks like there is a little fork to the end of the petal kind of like gaillardia fanfare. It is a nice looking plant. I have goldstrum, but not this one. I like it and the double trouble. How tall do they get?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

My golden goblin is 18" or so, it would get taller but it does lay down and then grows back up. I don't think you did anything wrong.
Henry Eilers does have quilled petals and is 4' or so. Double Trouble is 3' , there are other yellow helenium also.
Are you looking for a certain height?

here is Sunrise echinacea

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

For early season yellow this is unbeatable. Leopard's Bane

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

My echinacea of all types hasn't done very well this year; some creature has feasted on them and I suspect they succumbed to a fungal root rot thingy.

The garden I'm looking to put more stuff in is somewhat damp. Has sun most of the day, but a high wall behind it holds the damp.

I have the leopard's bane in another garden, but I need something that will bloom all summer for this garden that is next to the patio and I see it all the time and say, "how sad".

I had some great plants in it...a huge coreopsis sunrise, some creature came out of the wall during the winter and ate its roots, the gaillardia and echinacea seemed to have gotten root rot. A few gaillardia have survived and improved with an acidic fertilizer which may be discouraging the fungus. Kind of an experiment.

I recently have moved some goldstrum into the garden and the lance leaf coreopsis has survived. I have some geum there that appreciate the damp, but alas, they only bloom in the spring. I put in some rudbeckia gold drop and then slugs beset them.

The most open spot would be good for a 2-3ft plant, but there is some leeway.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You must have a haunted wall I figure. Your problems do concern me some and maybe you shouldn't invest too much into it until you can figure out how to correct the critters and disease.

You must like yellow alright, you have a lot.

I don't have marguerite daisy or the new yellow shasta daisy, but those come to mind. Helenium would take the moisture better than most sun perennials.

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

I do especailly like yellow and gold and orange.

I have shasta daisy sunshine that wan't looking too happy until I began the acid plant food that I imagine is discouraging fungus and now it's picking up.

I just put in some helianthus, but I'm not sure how they like moisture and wonder if I should have gone with the helenium.

Hampton, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Lillyo,
First of all, in answer to your question about the Gaillardia, the "Goblin" series does tend to be unreliable in height. They are hybrids that sometimes revert to one of their taller parents. It's not likely that you did anything to cause this.
Secondly, as far as golden perennials are concerned, Heliopsis may be one you'd want to consider. "Summer Sun" and "Summer Night" are both about 2-3 feet tall and bloom from about late June through at least August, more if you deadhead them. The biggest problem with them is powdery mildew. You have to give them good air circulation.
Also, Anthemis kelwayi is a very long summertime bloomer. It is about 2 feet tall, extremely floriferous and drought tolerant. It is a little bit floppy, though and may need staking. It tends to be short-lived, but self-seeds readily.
Another suggestion would be some of the Happy Appster daylilies, which are everbloomers. The ones that are yellow or gold are "Scentual Sundance", "Big Time Happy" and "Happy Returns".
For spring bloom, you might want to try "Carolina Moonlight" Baptisia. It's a pale yellow version with the same bloom time and habits as the blue.

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the informatin regarding the gaillardia. Is it possible to snip them back to shap them into a rounder form?

Also thanks for the above suggestions. The garden doesn't have good air circulation because of a 4ft wall at the back of the garden so the heliopsis might not like it too much but I'll look them up.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

lillyo, if you especially like yellow and gold and orange, you should definitely try Helenium 'Mardi Gras' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/79823/index.html. Prolific bloomer with every shade of yellow, gold, orange and 'red' you'd ever want - blooming for us from July right up until frost!

Debbie

(Zone 4a)

What about coreopsis? I got this plant this year and it bloomed beautifully for a long time.

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

RCN, I have helenium mardi gras; and purchased it out of bloom so it was a wonderful surprise when it bloomed. It is as beautiful as you described, but it is more thant 5ft tall (no my garden is not near a nuclear power plant!). One of the pictures on the above link, which was taken from above, looked like a compact version. Is there a shorter version of this terrific plant?

Coreopsis are terrific, which one did you get, Dawn?

Has anyone tried the caryopteris pink chablis, it it wimpy or as good as the blue ones?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

lillyo, wow - 5' tall!! What kind of fertilizer are you giving that baby?? Ours only gets about 3' tall which suits me just fine. Regarding Caryopteris 'Pink Chablis' - not "wimpy" at all - it's a real beauty. We've been wanting one for awhile and almost picked one up last weekend at a plant sale - but it was in a 3 gallon pot and we were looking for something smaller so we wouldn't have to dig such a big hole!

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

I threw some osmocote and mulch on it in the spring and did nothing else. No water other than mother nature's. I wonder if some Mardi Gras Helenium grows taller than others?

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Here's coreopsis 'Early Sunrise' which has been blooming since spring. It's also selfseeding like crazy which I don't particularly like in the front yard. It will probably get moved. Have a taker for all the seedlings so out they come.

Thumbnail by candyinpok

This little plant has also bloomed all summer. Sanvitalia Azet Gold. Mostly a ground cover type plant.

Thumbnail by candyinpok
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hey you're talking about me again ;) Yes my Mardis Gras has only been about 3' for 2 years now, and I do have some tall helenium. Double Trouble is a shorter yellow helenium. You certainly can head back your Mardis Gras to keep it shorter.

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

Candy, I had a coreopsis early sunrise 3 summers ago which was a splendid mass of yellow blooms, but the vermin ate the roots over the winter and it was dead in the spring, my subsequent attempts have been nowhere as floriferous. I wish I knew what I did right the year.

I thought that santavitalia was an annual, am I mistaken?

Al, are you a helenium? Seriously, do most gardeners need to trim the mardi gras?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Al's a helenium?! Or is it just that there's a lot of he!! in'em?

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

He'll have to answer that himself...he did say that we were talking about him...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dave - there's something in me for sure.

this was 2005
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/94093/

I don't think people cut them back really.

this was 2006

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes Al. You are full of something.

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

That's what mine looked like, except more colors mixed in and at eye level. Isn't that wierd?

Re: Sanvitalia Azec Gold. If its an annual, and I just looked it up and it seems it is, then it must have reseeded because I bought it and planted it last year, and its bigger and brighter than ever this year.

The coreopsis is in its second year and is spreading everywhere.

It's still blooming as we speak and we've had at least three nights with freezing temperatures.

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

I have a beautiful grey santavitalia which is a perennial, it's supposed to bloom yellow, but never has. Goodness knows what I'm doing wrong.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Golden Marguerite, Anthemis (something), goes on and on all summer long but is probably lower than what you want but good for the front of the border.

Perhaps a bit of orange ornamentation might help? I saw this earlier this week and thought it was charming and delightful, especially for a bird lover.

Thumbnail by pirl
Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

Pirl, that is too funny! I just keep waiting and waiting for those eggs to hatch. I'm hoping for more like the little one on the left!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Until a few months ago I didn't know that a bird's eggs were pliable as they came into this world or I'd have said the mother would go through agony giving birth to an egg half the size of her own torso!

Marlborough, CT(Zone 6a)

Good grief! I never knew that the eggs were pliable either. So glad to hear it and not least for the sake of the birds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.