new to irises.....stupid ?

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

I purchased a bearded iris 4 years ago, it bloomed beautifully the following year, it was like a zebra striped purple and white, but hasn't bloomed since. The green is there, but no blooms, I don't know if I've maybe planted it wrong...too deep or something....or what I've done. I've had great luck with daylilies, but would love to get into the irises too, especially after looking at all of yours that are absolutely gorgeous. I think I just need a lot more knowledge on how deep to plant...watering habits...just some general knowledge of them...if any of you could lead me in the right direction, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time,
Connie

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Hi Connie,

Assuming the irises you're asking about are bearded irises, I've written a FAQ that covers most of the common causes of non-bloom. You can find it at the link below. I hope it helps.

http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/shadowood/faqnobloom.html

Laurie

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

Laurie,

The more I read that article, I believe the one I have may be planted entirely too deep, and it was covered with mulch.....I'm going to go for it in the morning....and hopefully not destroy it in the process.....Thank you for your help.

Connie

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

They are pretty tough plants - they even survive being hacked in half with a shovel and run over by a 1/4 ton pickup truck... don't ask me how I know!

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

Too funny kmom - I have ordered 15 so we're going to find if I can grow them....LOL....I did move the one I have, I got to looking and where I planted it originally, was fine the first couple of years, but our oak tree took off and grew BIG and now the iris only gets about 45 minutes of sun a day. From what I've read so far, they seem to need a bit more sun than that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.