Silly SAC question

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I got a very small SAC plant from a friend, planted it and it died back. Well I did'nt yank it (miracle) and it is now growing gang busters..LOL it's about 10 feet tall...Do I still need to whack it back this spring to 6 inches or so???TIA...........Lauri

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Lauri....I think we both got ours from the same friend...Once mine is finished blooming I'm gonna wack mine to 6 inches...lol...mine got huge..!!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lauri...pruning times vary from Zone to zone..I wouldn't advise basing your pruning time the same as someone in a colder zone such as her..To me, the decision as when to prune is after your plants have gone dormant for the season and won't be stimulated to start growth by any unusually warm spells that might occur before things would normally start growing on their own. When your clematis is actively growing, pruning only stimulates the plant to put out new growth via axial dormant buds. When a plant has gone dormant due to cold temperatures and/or because of the decreased daylight hours, pruning will generally not cause bud break in axial buds. Hope this helps...Jeanne

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i would be careful about pruning as new growth comes off dead growth.

Dallas, TX

Great thread Lauri ... my best Clemitis grows on a long woody vine. ...all these years its just this one vine ... I thought the plant got bushier and develop more vines...would cutting it down to the ground encourage the vine to multiply?
Jeanne, hopefully ...you have not gave me feedback on this before, or I would be so embarresed.lol

Sylvia

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL..Sylvia..what is the name of the clematis you are talking about?....Jeanne

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Sylvia, I talked to Debbie at Silver Star and she told me to cut it back to 6-12 inches now since I still had enough growing season left for it to send out more vines, so I went out and did that. Now to move it to it's new home when the rains stop....Lauri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.