free iris - Atlanta area

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've dug up an old iris bed and have - literally - a couple of hundred iris I have no idea what to do with... these are evergreen, about knee-high, bloom in March/April, have several blooms per stalk and really need good homes!

Anybody interested d-mail me - they are already dug and ready to go!

TIA,
Sterling
Dunwoody, GA

Thumbnail by sterhill
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

this is what I have dug up

Thumbnail by sterhill
Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

If you can mail them for postage I would love a few! I'm in Thomasville GA.

plantnutga

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Those are beautiful! If you are mailing for postage I would love a flat rate box of them.
TIA
Winni

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've got a couple of people coming today and I have some I am mailing out tomorrow but I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Sterling

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Sterling, how far are you from Peachtree City? I go there to watch baseball games on weekends. Could I come by next week-end' check w/ dh for sure if you still have some that is?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am a looong way from Peachtree City. About 50 miles. However, I have dug and dug and the first person who came by took 4 big boxes and the second person took most of the rest that had already been dug up. I still need to clear quite a lot more - you might just want to get them mailed! I'll be digging again tomorrow for sure. I want to move some azalea and some peonies into this area to create more 'weight' on this side of the garden.

I'd much rather someone pick them up but I cannot bear to put them in the trash.What gardener could?

Here are the my mailing rules: If I can contact you Monday night and say 'I have a package 5.5 lbs or 8.75 lbs or whatever ready to go' AND you can paypal me postage - then it is not quite such a chore. I am in zip 30338. I only send out plant material on Mondays or Tuesdays so if there are problems digging tomorrow (rain or 95 degrees) I can't send out until next Monday.

Anyone who is willing to meet the requirements for mailing, send me d-mail. I cannot say how big a box or what weight as I just have to use the boxes I have - I do have some of the flat rate boxes but they are not very big. I am sending 15-lbs of orange daylilies to St. Simons, GA tomorrow and the 2-day rate is $11.85 for example.

I cut into fans for shipping but I do not separately wrap plants. I just stack them in. They are really tough soldiers and will bounce right back. I would also include some of the rhizomes that have no fans - they are big rhizomes and when I've planted them, they've done great. I sent some to a lady in California and she said they were the best she'd ever gotten.

Let me know who is interested,
Sterling

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

You have dmail..
JanetS

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

OK - the iris offer is now officially closed.

I have several people in the line up for the next "digging" but if you have not heard from me via d-mail, there are no more iris to be sent. Thanks to everyone who has 'adopted' these extras!

There are hundreds of these wonderful iris all over the country now!

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Sterhill,
Thank you!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!
The box of iris arrived today and they were in great shape. Thank you for being so generous with your extras. When they bloom I will have fun trying to ID them.
Winni

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Winni,
If you do ID them be sure to post so all of us who were fortunate enough to have them will know their name...mine for the time being are being marked Sterling's Iris....thanks again Sterling! You are such a sweet and generous gardener! What a beautiful garden you have too!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Mine arrived today - they are big, beautiful rhizomes. Thank you, thank you!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Winnie,

I'm wondering if they might be Iris Germanica

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1119373899032621402hFcxov

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Hello Polly,
It does look a lot like it ... Maybe Sterling will give us a little history about it. They look like they have been in that bed for a very long time. I love the color of them. Polly will d-mail you soon. Got to go and do some planting.
Winni

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi there - I do think they are the Germanic - even posted at http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/74887/

These were here when I bought this house in 1997. My neighbor has the yellow ones and told me that my purples had been there as long as she had lived in the neighborhood (1969). I had two big piles of them, so old they were actually growing vertically on top of each other, must have been a foot high. No bloom of course. They do not like to be so crowded. I dug and separated and made the big bed (see photo) and have divided them a couple of times since. If they are happy - they really thrive. Lots of sun, not too much water and nothing to block the sunshine from giving them their "sun-bath". No mulch!

I have actually dug some, thrown them 'over there', forgot to replant them and then they were blooming right on top of the ground the next spring! Real soldiers! The color is wonderful. I cut tons of them and as the first flower droops I cut it off, letting the next bud open. They will stain if the older bloom falls on a light surface.

I hope every one will post pix next year. I've been told they won't bloom the first year after dividing, but many of mine actually do.

Sterling

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Sterling,
Thanks for the history on the iris. Have you traded with your neighbor and got any of her yellow ones? Your story made me want some of them too.LOL I have one that I found nearly thiry years ago at an old house that had been abandoned for ages. The pictures I take of it is really darker than the actual flower. I have'nt been able to id it as of yet but hopefully someday I will. For now I call it Sam after my brother. Now to get back outside and do some more planting.
Winni

Thumbnail by winnietn
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am going to go over and dig some of her yellows this year - now that I have more space! They are really beautiful and don't even get full sun. So in a couple of years I'll be saying "free yellow iris"!

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Would you be interested in trading some yellow for my oldies??
Winni

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Your oldies are beautiful! Let me see how overgrown her yellows are...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.