Why does this happen to carrots?

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi,

Why would this be happing to my carrots?

Also, they are not as flavorful as I had hoped (even the ones that have not split), too bitter and my husband thinks they taste like kerosene.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by essentialplanet
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Root nematodes?

The carrots we leave in until after frost are much yummier.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

essential planet,

I suppose the first question would be, "Do you know what variety you have?" It looks like the core has grown excessively. I don't know the reason for that.

I tend to get a few misshapens, a few that the carrot weevil has eaten on especially the longer the carrots are in the ground, AND I get some really good ones. I have been raising Kuroda which juices well and tastes when cooked pretty good. Since it is a thick type, it is not the best muncher type.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Indy,

This was a Nantaise. I just picked a Merida right growing right next to it, and that specimen was perfect... I have to confess I have not kept track of which variety I have seen this in before, so I don't know if it's always been the Nantaise. I grew four or five different varieties this year.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Essential planet. We had some carrots that weren't very sweet and we left them in the ground all winter. They were nice and sweet by spring

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

It looks to me like a carrot that wasn't harvested in its prime. Many old(er) carrots will crack like that, have a large core, and be bitter, especially if harvested in the heat.

To be picking a carrot at this time of year means you must've planted it either in the Spring or as late as June/July. Can you remember your planting date?

Shoe.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Horseshoe,

I planted one batch May 15, and a second batch June 15.
Is that too late of a planting date? When should I be planting carrots? Some people have said that I could even be overwintering carrots? Is that wrong?

Even the carrots I picked early in the season did not have a sweet taste...

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Your climate is quite different, although we are both zone 8. I plant in February for early carrots and late August for winter carrots. Soil and variety also greatly impact flavor. I have sandy soil so the long slim Imperator types do well here.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I agree with Horseshoe. You really have to watch the harvest date with carrots, if spring planted. I get mine out as early as possible. My carrots are never very sweet. I have a sandy loam that's had compost scattered on it every year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.