So...just how big does a

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

passion flower vine get? Mine is massive! Pictures just don't do it justice. I have about 30 blooms and hundreds (no joke) of buds.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Here's a better pic

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Can you say 'takes over the world'?! I have about five different ones and the caerulea is trying to eat my house, the vitafolia is eating the fence and the incarnata plans to overtake my deck! I am in zone 5b/6 and mine are in 16" pots. In your zone, and in the ground, I can't begin to fathom how large they would get! Just get out the clippers and shear them - they will come back twice as strong.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Okay. Now I'll have to post what "I" thought was a passion vine. Mine is actually more woody, like a tall shrub. And it's going out of control! I'll post tomorrow. And, I'll need to post in the ID forum also. Again, I lost the darned tag.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

MySharona,

Wow, very impressive! I sure wish I had your climate. Is that Lady Margaret?

Erick

Erick, Lady Margaret it is! It's really beautiful. We have to keep moving the grill to the center of the patio. Otherwise the vine attachs itself and gets burned. Here's another shot taken this morning. This is where I planted it, just a little vine from Home Depot...

Thumbnail by MySharona

Here's some buds and flowers.
Sharon

Thumbnail by MySharona
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

MySharona,

That is just stunning. Gorgeous pictures too! Thank you for sharing. Wow.

Erick

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Hmmmm, I'm going tell the Gulf Fritillary cats, who have eaten my 2 PFs to a nub, to visit your house! :-)

Carla

I had a bunch of cats last month and I had 4 GF butterflies on it today. Haven't seen any cats lately, they did quite a bit of munching!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Fort Mill, SC(Zone 7b)

Years ago, when I was growing up, these things grew wild and we used to call them "maypops". These must have crossed something and hybridized(sp.)it to all the diff. colors,etc.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I've always been fascinated by this vine, but I thought it was a zone 8 and higher. So I wrote it off as not a plant for me in zone 7. Are there any varieties that will survive outside all winter in Z7?? I would love to have one. I believe it is also known as "Maypop" or "Passion of Christ"?

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Do y'alls vines always have so much foliage? I like to grow vines for the flowers and not so much for the foliage. To me it looks as if there is an overabundance of nitrogen present but maybe that is the nature of the beast(s). I'm not meaning to be rude or anything of that sort - just asking questions. Thanks!

Ann

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I thought Lady Margaret was a zone 10 vine, and I thought it was bright red? How cold do you get, I have Lady Margaret and would just love putting it in the ground instead of overwintering it in the greenhouse. How cold do you get in the winter?
Rebecca

Rebecca - not as cold as you do I'm sure! Our winter begins around late December early January. We do get some freezes, but generally for no longer than 6-8 hours. I mulch really heavy for my in gound plants then cover with a blanket.
Lady M has officially moved to the opposite side of the arbor!
Sharon

Thumbnail by MySharona
Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

It surprises most people but we are a small area on the coast with very mild winters. This last winter was our coldest in years and it did not drop below 28 degrees. We had a couple weeks with mild frost and that was it. Usually we don't get much frost to speak of. That does it, I am going to put one in the ground and give it a try. I do love this plant, I have Coral Seas, its huge and blooms all winter here, I also have to common purple one, no problem with the winter so I am just going to try it.
Thanks for the info,
Rebecca

Rebecca - d-mail me. I'm going to take some cuttings and try to root. I'll send you some if you want. Sharon

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

my edulis is also trying to take over the world. I had to pull it out of the neighbor's grapefruit tree it was trying to eat!

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Then what's wrong with mine? It has been planted for months and only grew the first couple of weeks and stayed the same since.

Thumbnail by caganimalover
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Maybe needs more sun? Could be just the time of day you snapped the pic, but I think they will take full sun. I'd also give it something to climb on, I think it encourages growth when they have something to hug.

I agree with AuntB - mine is in full sun and has an arbor to grow on. Lady M is fruiting!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Definetly too much shade. I have one that is planted under a tree and it has barely grown a few inches from the original size plant. While the rest of my passion vines are just huge!! It did flower some.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Marie, you have multiple passionflowers with all the same soil, but in both sun and shade and the one in the shade hasn't thrived, correct?
It gets full sun the first half of the day, but may not be enough.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yes I have multiple passion vine all in the same soil both in the sun and shade. The one under my tree has hardly grown at all.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Well then, I guess that's the answer. It needs more sun.
Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.