CLOSED: another spider! what kind?

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

This is about the best pic my hubby can get of this spider. She wont come out of her home. She keeps egg sac close at hand. I like to just go out and look at her a couple of times a day. Once she sort of jumped out at me..I backed off in order to reassure her I mean no harm. Anyways..anyone know what kind it is? And how long does it take for the babies to hatch or whatever they do? Thanks in advance!

Randa

Thumbnail by turbosbabe96
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Probably .. one of the Funnel Web spiders, Randa ...
> http://bugguide.net/node/view/1974

And, congrats on the new digital 'toy' too!!
Wonderful photos!

- Magpye

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks.I will let my hubby know. He is the camera/techno person in the family!!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Is that a lunaria seed pod there? That's a BIG spider!

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, now..let's see..I need to go look up lunaria seed pod! I am such a newbie!! I am so new that I spared no bones about letting this spider know how lucky it is to still be alive..6 months ago..i would be out buying a new dust pan..as that has always been my weapon of choice to splat them with! However, since becoming interested in gardening..I am learning..most everything..bugs and all..has a purpose on this earth!!

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok..I looked up the def. of lunaria seed pod..The pod is a round ball..I am so anxious for the babies to..hatch? Will they sit or ride up on her back when they finally do??

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

If she is a funnel web, maybe not. It is usually the baby wolf spiders that ride on their mother's back. Wolf spiders do not have a web for catching insects - and so don't have them for protection either. My guess would be that your mom will keep the babies close to her in the web itself until she's ready to chase them out - like a momma bird kicking the babies out of the nest.

The babies will be very small and probably resemble "gummy citters" in that they will be sort of see through and jelly looking. They won't have a defined pattern or color until they get bigger.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Splat its a dead spider

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry phicks..I just cant bring myself to do that! I used to be considered "armed and dangerous" when it came to spiders..I STILL am not asking any to move in the house or become my best friend..but I do appreciate them more now..I have some pests that they help keep in control in my neck of the woods!..Or at least, help me TRY to make a dent in the "bad guy" population. I am new at gardening and was given this suggestion..to just try it..so I am..We will see how it all works out!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.